192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > Seminars

back to forum | Help | Search

IIC courses-- Should there be two class types?

10 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 11 of 11
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Wed 23rd Apr 2008 16:10
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35

I was wondering with more and more 4th dans and higher if there should be two different IIC courses; one for all Dans and then a more indepth one for 4th Dan and above. Not only could they consentrate on the Higher Dan Patterns but also delve more into the teaching of the Art that the normal course does not give enough time for. Just a thought.

Mike

Taekwon!!

Mike

www.drysdaletkd.com

Post # 2
Top Wed 23rd Apr 2008 19:59
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Mr. Boik,

Hello sir. I had a conversation with a gentleman about a year ago and at one time the IIC was actually a week long course. Due to people's work schedules and family life obviously it got cut down to a weekend event. When time is critical I guess the right thing to do is hit on the main points which are instruction of ITF fundamental movements, Tuls, Lectures and etc. The other stuff I would guess should be taught in the dojang. Luckily, we have a nice amount of awesome Master instructors who can teach Master Class seminars with different themes to them. Example: Step Sparring, Ho Sin Sul and etc.
I'm sure that if someone wanted to learn more indepth material about something in particular one of the Master instructors could be hosted to teach a specific seminar teaching whatever the seminar host/student base would be interested in learning more about.

Just my opinion sir.

Taekwon!
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 3
Top Wed 23rd Apr 2008 20:30
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
Hello Mr. munyon,

Speaking of special seminars, have you had your breaking seminar yet?

Mike
Taekwon!!

Mike

www.drysdaletkd.com

Post # 4
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 10:09
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Hello Mr. Boik,

No sir. I've been distracted with work, college, my move and my recent Base level Women's Self Defense seminar. April is Sexual Response Awareness month at Keesler AFB. Not sure if it's Air Force wide or not. Now that I'm done with that we can possibly focus on getting back on track with a breaking seminar. Master Wheatley and Master Geoghegan have taught me a lot in regards to breaking and I'm really excited to share it and see how some of the folks in the local area favor at it.

Michael Munyon, VI Dan
Post # 5
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:33
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Sir'
I have always said I would like to see a special course for Examiners Only, What do I maen here? well we as International Examiners grade how we feel and what we think is correct but surely if you are going to examine we should have a course where we can sit at a table for a time period perhaps grade a few members and others can watch how we grade and discuss points of weakness and strengths in the examination and mark what we have given,

Our Black Belt exam is tougth and I have always said any UK instructor who'd like to see our exam first hand is welcome to attend and watch. It last for 5 hours and we put the student through every ellement learnt to date.

Speaking of that we have a BB exam this sunday 10 till 4pm I better crack on with the test sheets.

Just my opinion, good topic.

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 6
Top Thu 17th Jul 2008 18:52
Glenn Horan

GBR-7-1017
Topics: 1 Replies: 17
Hi Mr Snow,
I did a 5 day IIC with Gen Choi in 93' and he used to cover the grading examiners part of the course. Back then it was an IIC for 3rd dan (who would be going for 4th dan at the end of the course) and above only. He would also explain on the actual grading day what was being marked and what marks to give for what! I suppose when you cut the course from 5 days to 2 and a half something has to give. It might be worth asking the ITF if the courses could be revised or asking the members opinions. Lets face it, it is an International Instructors course and you can only become an International Instructor at 4th dan. Maybe we should go back to having a 5 day course with just 3rd or 4th dan and above in one location (Canada) and limit them to one or two a year. Then have different courses for everyone(Masters Class)!
Maybe something to think about.

Kind Regards
Glenn Horan.
Post # 7
Top Thu 17th Jul 2008 20:24
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Hi Mr Horan,Smile
I agree with what you said about the 5 day course in principle my only reservation sir would be if like me I dont travel much due to finances and not a good traveler on planes - There must be 1000's like me who are commited heaverly to family lifes etc  who would do anything for TKD but would be in same situation therfore could not travel. If however they could do a senior course as you state in london for UK people that would be fine, but we would all have to commit to it.

I done my course 3 day with G.M. Rhee and that was daunting being out in front of the class where Masters stood, I blagged it and kept the nerves. That was 2001, I am looking to take another course soon with one of my instructors  who is applying for 4th Dan in September just to refresh my skills.

A smaller course led by UK top Masters would help loads.Think about it , Master Nicholls on our doorstep putting a 4th Degree course for those interested in examining proceedures now that would be somthing special I think loads would commit too.

Hope you are wel.

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 8
Top Fri 18th Jul 2008 00:39
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Mr. Snow,

Taekwon! Currently the ITF requires a minimum 100 people for an IIC and more if it's a 3 day course. With that being said, I've been to a few IIC. One of them had roughly 60 people in attenedance. Others I've been to had 150 plus. If the ITF were to consider this idea what would you say would be a reasonable minimum number and how much should they be charged? Is it considered an advanced class? Will it count for time off for promotion? These questions arise with the idea. Personally, we know the ITF syllabus and have master instructors to mentor us. It's ideally up to the instructor as to how they evaluate, train, test and etc their students and run their school. I don't see a need for an ITF course such as this.
Yes, if a group of Master instructors wished to work together to do a "specialty class" on this topic then that's great, but I don't feel it's the ITFs responsibility to offer this class.

Just my opinion.

P.S. I like your school site.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
Post # 9
Top Fri 18th Jul 2008 03:47
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 31
Taekwon

I can advise you that while in Argentina, the proposal of having an ITF course only for 4th degree and up came up. This course will be considered a special course. I believe that you will hear about it very soon. It will be a three day course with the participants receiveing a different type of certificate compared to the one that is given in the IIC course now. The proposals are currently in the works.
I can advise that a few years back, this was proposed to be done in Canada but only a few instrctors registered so it was cancelled. To have this course, the ITF has to have a good response from instructors.
In regards to Masters teaching master classes, President Choi has authorized a few Masters to teach these classes as well as International Instructors Courses. This anouncement was made on the web site a while ago. I know for a fact that these masters are willing to teach when asked to.
But just to go off topic, I am planning on Hosting an IIC course in Toronto, Canada sometime next year, possibly April. Pres. Choi will be teaching the course. Hopefully everyone will be able to attend this event.

Yours in Taekwon-Do

Master Rai
Master Parm Rai
Post # 10
Top Fri 18th Jul 2008 04:16
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Thank you for the info Master Rai. From the sounds of it there are things still in the works. Any word/rumor on number of people are expected to attend and possible price range?
Good luck with the IIC.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
Post # 11
Top Fri 18th Jul 2008 09:54
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Mr Munyon Sir,
Thanks for your reply sir, I know each of us know our stuff, I wrote my own syllabus for the LTSI a few years back it took 2 years to put together due to research and now it is in hard back. There are many questions that I oftern question in examining hence my reason for saying such a course would be a good idea. We know our syllabus works as it is used at all schools and the standard is tight accross the board, But I have many questions.

what about a registered Examiners forum on this site where we can post and have questions answered in private by other examiners and Masters that would cost nothing to implement and assist those of us that get them little questions that pop up now and then.

Tae Kwon

C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 11 of 11
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation