192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > Feedback

back to forum | Help | Search

Promotions and Recognition[closed]

6 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sat 20th Sep 2008 11:12
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Greetings,

What is the policy/process for promotion recognition on this site?  Example:  I've attended a few black belt examinations, a few which were for 4th Dan and above however do not see them listed on here.  Apparently, as a director of an organization, if I e-mail this administration and state so and so is promoted to a new rank and give details it is not enough.  It's mostly the USA folks who don't get recognized from what I see.  

Thank you in advance. 
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
PM 
Post # 2
Top Mon 22nd Sep 2008 10:29
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Hi Sir,

This website displays the latest promotions on the front page or as you mentioned Seniors can be searched for and/or listed by country. The database is updated when administration receives official notification from INO / ISD via the approved ITF Degree application form which can be downloaded from this site.

Due to geographical location or delays in processing, if the form is received more than 3 months in arrears from the grading date they will not be displayed on the front page, Senior grades will be listed in the search area once processed. We also have a certificate number search for all grades, allowing you to search for specific numbers and verify who they were issued to.

Corrections, errors and omissions should be notified to ITF Administration as soon as possible, it maybe the applications have not been received. 

Best Regards
Mark Skyrme 

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

PM 
Post # 3
Top Mon 22nd Sep 2008 13:44
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Mr. Skyrme,

Thanks for the reply sir. I just don't get it though. If we break down the application process this is what happens. A black belt candidate applies for their certificate of black belt from the download section here 4-6 months in advance from their test date, pays their fees and etc why does it still take 4-6 months after the test for someone to get their ITF Dan certificate number? If there are 4-6 months in advance that this person is testing and their paperwork and fees are paid both the INO and the ITF should have everything prepared for that individuals certificate and/or certificate number. Having to wait another 4-6 months and even longer is kind of disheartening to the student. The ITF or the INO does not offer students/instructors a gaurenteed delivery date of certificates and etc. I know that we can purchase items from TV out here and it states we will recieve our purchase within 4-6 weeks. That's pretty acceptable. Perhaps this is just something within a few INO's and it doesn't happen everywhere, but what would you say is a good return time for an ITF Black Belt Certificate/Certificate number?

We are all students of TKD, but we are also customers. Our students are customers and so are their parents.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
PM 
Post # 4
Top Mon 22nd Sep 2008 14:33
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 31
Mr. Munyon

Maybe I can shed some light to this topic. First of all just because a student applies for a degree and tests doesn't mean he or she is a guaranteed pass. The ITF doesn't receive the application and results untill the grading is complete and then it depends on when the INO sends in the application. I remember when we used to have to wait a year until we received the certificate as it was sort of like a probationary period in your new rank. I know that the ITF is quite quick in sending the certificates to the INO once all the applications are received.
I hope this helps.

Master Rai
Master Parm Rai
PM 
Post # 5
Top Mon 22nd Sep 2008 16:24
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Master Rai,

Thanks for your reply sir. I don't understand the concept of probationary time frame. If the student tested, passed and the instructor or International Examiner passed the individual then there shouldn't officially be a reason for a probationary period. Most instructors wont test a student if they feel they are not ready. To set a person up for failure is a terrible thing to do. So, I'd hope that no instructor in the ITF would have their student test for a black belt rank and give them a probationary time frame to see what their actions would be. Their instructor should know their student well enough to see their intentions. Also, I haven't read anything in the encyclopedia about probationary rank or waiting period. To send in paperwork for a person to test so far in advance couldn't an ITF Black belt number possibly be reserved? Example: Mr. John Doe sends in his paperwork, money and etc. He's scheduled to test on July 1st. His paperwork was sent in 4-6 months in advance. Couldn't a number be reserved and upon completion of his/her examination a number issued and certificate sent within a reasonable time frame to the student? If something comes up such as the person changes their mind about testing, injury or what have you give the number to the next candidate?

Thanks sir. Taekwon!

Michael Munyon, VI Dan
PM 
Post # 6
Top Mon 22nd Sep 2008 20:12
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Mr Munyon,

I believe that ITF Administration usually turn around a certificate within one week upon receipt of a completed application. All INO / ISD's are able to process their applications online thus speeding up the process even further. The certificate number will be issued immediately on approval, displayed on the website and the certificate posted to the registered address for the INO.

Individuals are not permitted to apply for certification as this must be processed through a registered INO / ISD, with the Examiner and Authorised INO / ISD signature signing the bottom of the form. As Master Rai states this is normally done at the completion of the grading where the examiner can check that all relevant paperwork has been submitted. The INO / ISD will then forward this to ITF Administration where it will be processed.

As mentioned this can be improved by the INO applying online, thus making submission and approval a couple of mouse clicks, with the certificates following in the post. Unfortunately If there is a delay in the INO / ISD processing such applications this will also cause a "Knock On" effect with certification processing.

Best Regards
Mark Skyrme

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

PM 
Post # 7
Top Mon 22nd Sep 2008 20:41
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Mr. Skyrme,

Sir, your reply was the answer I was looking for. Thank you very much.

Taekwon!
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
PM 
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic

This topic has been closed - no more posts can be made

© International Taekwon-Do Federation