192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Punching

7 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 8 of 8
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 11th Mar 2008 13:29
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Here is another topic I have prepared for the IIC at the end of the month.

The positioning of the hand during punching. For example in Chon Ji tul after the bakat palmok nijunde makgi, as we come to the centre where sine wave begins the arms go into a relaxed position, the punching arm extends forward with the elbow of the punchng hand coming to the hip. Now, my question is when the hand goes back as we go into the up phase of sine wave, does the hand loop backwards, as in a slight U shape, or does it go back in a straight line and punch from there?
This was another topic that came up recently. I think Master Rai did say that the punching arm should loop as the extra distance for the punch to travel increased the power via accelerated speed.
Any opinions?
I hope I make sense!

Jon Wacko 
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 2
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 01:22
Nick Malefyt

USA-6-1015
Topics: 2 Replies: 50
Jon,

I see your point on the U shape I would just cuation that the hand not go to high - so as not to execute the punch more from your shoulder compared to your hip.

Nick
Post # 3
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 03:33
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 34
Very Good question. Mr. Malefyt is correct. As you move forward, your fist is relaxed therefore drops slightly. As your fist comes back it is raised slightly, then you punch in a straight line. Therfore there is a slight circular motion but very slight. If you just bring it straight back and forward you are stiff and not relaxed during the movement. If you do the movement in slow motion you will see the slight circular motion, but should be difficult see when executing the punch with full power and speed. I hope this helps.

Master Rai

Master Parm Rai

Post # 4
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 12:42
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Perfect, thanks again Master Rai and Mr Malefyt.

Would there be an option of introducing a technical section on the forum, one open to members?

Thanks!
Jon

Post # 5
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 12:58
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Hi Jon,

While you are free to discuss any subject on this forum, technical updates and announcements can only be made by the Technical Committee. We are currently working on a section devoted to such announcements where our members will be able to view and download revised syllabus updates confident in the fact they are authoritative.

Glad to see you are making full use of the website

Mark Skyrme

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 6
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 13:53
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Hi Mr Skyrme,
Thanks for the reply, thats a great idea having a section dedicated to syllabus updates, no doubt this will help maintain a cohesive standard across the world.
I look forward to it!

Jon

Post # 7
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 16:41
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Quote from Sparticus - 12th Mar 2008 12:58 View
Hi Jon,

While you are free to discuss any subject on this forum, technical updates and announcements can only be made by the Technical Committee. We are currently working on a section devoted to such announcements where our members will be able to view and download revised syllabus updates confident in the fact they are authoritative.

Mark Skyrme

That said it appears Master Rai has answered your question conclusively, being the personal assistant to Master Choi it doesn't get anymore authoritative than that... Cool

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 8
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 17:12
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Quote from Sparticus - 12th Mar 2008 16:41 View
Quote from Sparticus - 12th Mar 2008 12:58 View
Hi Jon,

Mark Skyrme

That said it appears Master Rai has answered your question conclusively, being the personal assistant to Master Choi it doesn't get anymore authoritative than that... Cool

So many questions!

I think Master Rai will eventually tell me to leave him alone LOL

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 8 of 8
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited