192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Finishing slow motion movements

4 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sun 22nd Jul 2012 21:54
JBCAlaska

USA-3-1212
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 15

When completing slow motion movements, as a general rule, should there be a slight acceleration near the end prior to locking out the application? Additionally, is it appropriate to include a long audible breath sound throughout the slow motion movement, with a strong exhale at the end (if thee is the accelearation)? I have seen skilled practitioners perform with and without acceleration at the end of the movement, as well as variable breathing applications. I am seeking ITF clarification on these elements of pattern work and appreciate any insight. Thank you!

John Carnahan - ITFUSITF -- Alaska, USA
Post # 2
Top Mon 23rd Jul 2012 20:37
MikeCarr

GBR-3-2065
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 17
Sorry to repeat the post I left on the Ko-Dang thread..
I have been told different things by different people .. Here are five reasons (I think the 5th is the most legitimate)

1) There should be no acceleration.. This is because the entire movement is being performed in slow motion so there wouldn't be any change in speed at the end of the movement

2) There should be no acceleration (reason number 2).. Because you would also have to accelerate your feet on the floor so that they finish together

3) There SHOULD be an acceleration to demonstrate that, although it is a slow motion, the technique has power

4) Because "that's the way so and so said to do it"

5) The instructions read EXECUTING while performing in slow motion, thusly, any movement so instructed moves slowly until ending with a "snap", at the very end of the movement.

I personally feel that number 5 is the most legitimate answer.. You will notice that movements can be both executed and formed (for example movement #7 in Won-Hyo) - I hope that gives you some insight
Post # 3
Top Mon 20th Aug 2012 02:46
JBCAlaska

USA-3-1212
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 15
I received some technical input from Master Wheatley this past weekend with respect to this topic. He indicated that audible exhaling throughout the movement is correct, but that there is no discernable 'acceleration' at the end of the movement. There is, however, a notcieable lock-out of the movement so that it is clear/apparent that the movement is complete. At this point, the breath would end. Nothing like a half-day seminar to answer a slew of questions!
John Carnahan - ITFUSITF -- Alaska, USA
Post # 4
Top Tue 7th Jan 2014 23:15

Topics: 0 Replies: 0

Hi. We have different motions in TKD that serves different purposes. Slow motions are not practice for speed, power or reality in self defense scenarios. What we practice in slow motion is balance mainly although we show beauty. If is says slow it is slow simple as that. there is no sense to ad power at the end when we have lost the entire momentum and, sine wave and distance for acceleration. Taekwon.

Post # 5
Top Thu 23rd Jan 2014 07:31
O. Braemer

GER-7-1000
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 23
Master Wheatley is correct.

Learning is a process which never ends and where you have to be afraid to forget what you have learned.

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited