192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Baro and Bandae Definitions

6 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Wed 6th Oct 2010 08:09
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123
Hello Forum Members, Would very much like to read what definition you have for "baro" and "bandae". And whether those definitions fit all Tul techniques as described in The Encyclopedia. Thank you.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 2
Top Tue 12th Oct 2010 14:08
O. Braemer

GER-6-1002
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 22
Hi Bob

in general if the hand technique is on that side where the leg is in front and/or is the most bended than it is baro. but it's only for stances with an equal weight on every feet. e.g. Gunnun Sogi, Nachuo Sogi etc.
but if you have for example Niunja Sogi, baro is on the side where the leg is most bended. The same for Dwibtal Sogi. If you have Gujung Sogi you have equal weight on every feet and both legs are bended the same so baro is where the leg is in front.
But don't ask me, where is baro or bandae in Annun Sogi. I don't know. Maybe somebody here in the forum.

I hope that helped.

Olaf

Learning is a process which never ends and where you have to be afraid to forget what you have learned.

Post # 3
Top Fri 22nd Oct 2010 10:32
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Hi Olaf,

Yes, that helped. Thanks.

What you explained is what I have heard throughout my Taekwon-do experience.
I wanted again to validate the explanation to be sure I continue to pass on the right stuff to my students.

Was hoping to hear from a master o two, also.

See you at the 6 November seminar at Mills, NE with Grand Master Choi?

Your neighbor,
Bob

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 4
Top Tue 26th Oct 2010 09:50
O. Braemer

GER-6-1002
View Profile
Hi Bob,

always welcome. We are not attending at that seminar. So next time is our tournament.

Alle the best

Olaf

Learning is a process which never ends and where you have to be afraid to forget what you have learned.

Post # 5
Top Wed 27th Oct 2010 08:18
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Hi Olaf,

Will bring at least 7 competitors to your championship.
Looking forward to another well managed and highly succesful event on 27 November.

Alles gute
Bob

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 6
Top Tue 31st May 2011 17:00
Shane Fitzgibbon

IRL-6-1010
Topics: 1 Replies: 3
Hello Mr. Braemer

I'm afraid I dont' believe you are quite correct. I may be wrong but to my understanding the definitons are as as follows:

Bara (obverse) is over the primary leg
Bandae (reverse) is opposite the primary leg

What is the primary leg? There are three criteria for deciding the primary leg in any stance. The primary leg is the leg that contains the most body weight. If the weight is the same on both legs, then the primary leg is the leg with the most bend. If both legs are bent equally then the front leg is the primary leg. For example, the primary leg in the walking stance is the front leg. This is because there is 50% body weight on each leg. Therefore the leg with the most bend is the important one i.e. the front leg.

With these definitions it is easy to extraploate whether a technique is Baro or Bandae.

Respectfully,
S. Fitzgibbon.
Post # 7
Top Wed 8th Jun 2011 09:16
O. Braemer

GER-6-1002
View Profile
Hi Mr. Fitzgibbon,

hmmm, I think I said the same with other words. But we both are correct. Maybe there will come any answer or correction of a Master.

All the best to you

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited