192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Whats the best wood for breaking?

9 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 10 of 10
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 10th Nov 2009 15:16
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Topics: 11 Replies: 191

can anyone tell me what the best type of wood is for making breaker boards?

And if the wood has 'knots' in it, will this make it easier of harder to break?

m-

Post # 2
Top Tue 10th Nov 2009 19:55
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Parana pine (Very expensive tho), breaks cleanly with no splinters and has a smooth surface.
Sawn timber has a rough finish but is far cheaper and does not break as cleanly !

Stay away from knots if you can, and anything that is damp.

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 3
Top Sat 14th Nov 2009 12:57
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123
A knot is denser in mass than the rest of the board. Its presence makes breaking harder. Its presence can also make breaking riskier in that the board does not break cleanly and can cause one's flesh to get caught on the resulting board piece(s). Try it. You will not like it.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 4
Top Sun 15th Nov 2009 07:49
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
A small, fun question for Morning Star:

If you are to break a board which shows even the slightest of a bend in the middle, is it easier to break that board with the bend towards you or away from you?

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 5
Top Sun 15th Nov 2009 11:49
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Quote from Bob Borja - 14th Nov 2009 12:57 View
A knot is denser in mass than the rest of the board. Its presence makes breaking harder. Its presence can also make breaking riskier in that the board does not break cleanly and can cause one's flesh to get caught on the resulting board piece(s). Try it. You will not like it.

oops!
The wood iv got for my grading next sunday has some knots in it!
not many though and the pieces i'm using have the knots at the top or bottom of the piece-not in the centre.

MIDNIGHT star!

Post # 6
Top Sun 15th Nov 2009 11:59
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Quote from Bob Borja - 15th Nov 2009 07:49 View

If you are to break a board which shows even the slightest of a bend in the middle, is it easier to break that board with the bend towards you or away from you?

well i'd have said the logically if you put the board on the 'horse' so you're kicking this part -------------------> ) not this part ------------------>( then it would break easier as it's already bending in the direction which you want it  to break???

having said that,the logical way isn't always the best way!

Post # 7
Top Sun 15th Nov 2009 12:02
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Quote from Mark Skyrme - 10th Nov 2009 19:55 View
Parana pine (Very expensive tho), breaks cleanly with no splinters and has a smooth surface.
Sawn timber has a rough finish but is far cheaper and does not break as cleanly !

Stay away from knots if you can, and anything that is damp.

Iv got my boards in the cupbards under the stairs where it's warm and dry!

Hopefully they'll dry out some more while they're in there! can i bake them in the oven??!! lol

Post # 8
Top Mon 23rd Nov 2009 08:57
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Well my wood broke really well on my grading. No splinters in my feet!
Post # 9
Top Tue 1st Dec 2009 13:10
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Quote from Midnight Star - 15th Nov 2009 11:59 View
Quote from Bob Borja - 15th Nov 2009 07:49 View

well i'd have said the logically if you put the board on the 'horse' so you're kicking this part -------------------> ) not this part ------------------>( then it would break easier as it's already bending in the direction which you want it  to break???

having said that,the logical way isn't always the best way!

Hi Star,

First, congratulations for passing your 3rd Degree test.
Yes, you are right on the wood direction.

Next fun question: with a board that is not bent, in which direction will it be harder to break; with the rings concentric going away from you, like this )))) or coming at you, like this ((((. This assumes you are to the left of both sets of curved lines.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 10
Top Tue 1st Dec 2009 14:29
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
well i think on my grading my boards wer like this ((((((( asi broke from the left!
Not sure which is best way but they broke! =)
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 10 of 10
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation