192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Testing and being asks to test

4 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Mon 14th Apr 2008 21:38
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
This question popped into my head. Many schools will have a list of students the teacher feels are ready to test for their next rank. My question is, would it be disrespectful to decline to test at that time.

Mike
Taekwon!!

Mike

www.drysdaletkd.com

Post # 2
Top Mon 14th Apr 2008 21:55
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
I think so yes.
If the instructor feels a student is ready, well then they are ready and should give it their best shot.
Unless the reason for not testing is a valid one, the student should go ahead with the test.

Just my thoughts
Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Tue 15th Apr 2008 11:51
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123
Hello.

Mr. Boik,

To decline is likely to be seen as disrespectful by both the trainer and other students; but surely a good trainer can understand if a good reason is made known to him.

However, if at all possible, it would be practical to test when the trainer decides that a student is ready from the viewpoint that the student may be unable to test at a preferred later date due to health (i.e., weather related sickness), family, school (i.e., trips & exams), or professional reasons.

You asked a good question I can imagine many good students ask of themselves, at times.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 4
Top Tue 15th Apr 2008 12:39
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Sir, I refused rank 4 times as to me i was dealing with my father who had cancer and it was too much to cope with, Just attending class and just losing the stress in my life for the hours I was there was more beneficial, After he passed I took the grades and passed with flying colours, Many have reasons for not promoting and as coaches we have to understand that all our lives are different. I know once my cercumstances changed I was able to move up with out worry as the time on the mat had strengthened my tecniques and attitude.

In fact I have a red belt lady who has missed 1st Kup test 3 times now due to work, yet she is a fab Tae Kwon Do'ist but if she cant make the area exam she can not grade. It annoys me loads but I have to just grin and bare it - She would be better as a 1st Dan as she would find sparring parters who would give her a good spar.

If they are plain lazy and no circumstances for delaying rank - yes that is disrespectful but not every one is interested in promotions. Just my opinion though Smile
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 5
Top Tue 15th Apr 2008 12:51
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
Thank you for your answers. I think that the student feels he/she wants to show their best and feel they can do better if they wait. This is whats great about having a teacher who can objectively measure you knowledge and skill. A student will always be self contious of their skill. It takes a good teacher to push you sometimes.

Mike
Taekwon!!

Mike

www.drysdaletkd.com

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited