192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

10 Second Knock Downs

3 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Mon 5th May 2008 11:27
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
And they say our art is agressive - YikesEmbarrassed

Is Tae Kwon Do more agressive then boxing? I don't think so.... what you think?
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 2
Top Mon 5th May 2008 12:04
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
hmm, more aggressive? I think thats down to the competitors and more importantly the umpire. Personally I think aggression has no place in Taekwon-Do. We are a much more dynamic sport where skill and speed with hands AND feet are the order of the day.

On another note, I am in favour of a 10 second count for any knocked down opponent, giving somebody 1 minute to recuperate after a good blow is a bit of a nonesense. There is a grey area regarding the contact in Taekwon-Do. As per the rules it states that each technique to be scored must have 'power' - and in the next paragraph Full contact will have a competitior disqualified! How can the difference between a powerful shot and a full contact shot be defined? Especially by a centre referee.
Take for example, the classic 360 turning kick, to throw this properly will result in it being a full contact shot - I've seen people throw this and knock their opponents down, and then winning because of it. Massive grey area there to be honest. Made even worse by the fact that the highly dangerous dip foam gloves have to be used. All other groups allow the 10oz closed light contact glove.

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Mon 5th May 2008 15:57
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
We use two ranges 'Discipline and Top Ten both closed thingers' I was recently told Top Ten are not allowed in ITF which threw me totally as I have seen them used many times in ITF. Is this rubbish or true?
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 4
Top Mon 5th May 2008 20:01
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Seems the ITF prefer the open finger dipped foam type now. Top Ten closed finger light contact glove were always the norm. Thing is the Top Ten closed finger are proper light contact gloves. The Dipped Foam open fingers are actually semi-contact stop start point fighting gloves.
Any clip of previous ITF championships will show the competitors wearing Top Ten style closed fingers. I hope the T.C re-think this.

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation