192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Pulling The Hands

Technical Question
4 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Thu 17th Apr 2008 22:16
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Greetings,

I've had a few discussions with a few different ITF black belts about something we've read.  In many of the ITF Tuls it states, "Pulling the hands back."

In the tul, Hwa Rang it is clearly written to grab your punching hand and pull it back.  However, in other patterns you will read pulling hands back.  Some schools are teaching to physically place your hand on the other hand/forearm and pull it backwards.  Other schools are simply "placing" their hands back to the opposite direction.

My question is, are we actually grabbing only a limb and pulling it back in the opposite direction or is it just simply bringing your limb to the opposite direction without actually grabbing onto something?

Thanks.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 2
Top Thu 17th Apr 2008 22:23
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Hello Mr Munyon!
At the last IIC Master Choi spent some time on this movement in Hwa Rang tul. The right hand punches out and the next movement the left hand (finger belly) goes over the front of the right fist and it is pulled with the aid of the hips back slightly towards the body. The left foot is anchored to the floor as the movement is made. For this movement in Hwa Rang it is against an opponent who has grabbed the punching arm so now we must grab our arm and pull it back.
Hope thats what you mean sir!

Demonstrated by Jaraslov Suska

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbIcpCJWiYI
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Fri 18th Apr 2008 02:27
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Hello Mr. Mackey,

I'm looking for more instruction on pulling the hands for the second flat finger tip thrust in Gae Beak or the outward knife hand strike while in the sitting stance pulling the hands back in Eui-Am.

Thanks and I hope Ireland is treating you well. :)
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 4
Top Fri 18th Apr 2008 10:47
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Ah I see, I'd be interested in an answer to that also. Maybe Master Rai will pop in soon.

All is well here thanks, hope its like wise in the US!

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 5
Top Wed 30th Apr 2008 16:50
Glenn Horan

GBR-7-1017
Topics: 1 Replies: 17
Hi Sir's,
You have already answered your own question in the first statment you said! In Hwa Rang it clearly states to grab the hand but in most other movements it just says to pull the hands. Therefore I have always practiced and taught to just pull the hands but not to grab unless stated. In Hwa Rang you have an action to release. However the other patterns you just pull the hands, there isn't an odjective of a release.

Hope that helps.
Glenn Horan
UTA (UK)
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation