192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

WTF ITF Olympic's ?

5 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sat 9th Aug 2008 06:23
James Horobin

GBR-3-1026
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 6

The Olympics is here again and I am sure all the top level ITF sparrers are looking and wishing they could be a part of such a major sporting event. But Taekwondo is one of a number of sports which is vunerable at the Olypic's. With many other sports viaing for it's spot. The reason is due to its poor spectator value with the current WTF sparring structure favouring the counter attacker to much leading to little action as nobody wishes to move in. Also no punches to the head is a big turn off to the general public. Couple this with the inconsitancy of judging and there are big problems. So change must be made to keep it in. Working together with the WTF a system which can allow ITF and WTF to spar toghether in a more spectator friendly system is in my opinion the answer. The problem as I see it with our ITF is in the words Semi contact which is a big turn of for the general public. How many semi contact events are there at the oplympics? The thing is at high level ITF events such as the World Champs ect there is very little semi contact out there the competitors can not hit any harder. So why label it semi contact of course it is a good idea for junior grades but at Black Belt level? A problem I have seen with the word's Full Contact Taekwondo was when I attended the TKD Power full contact event a couple of years ago as a spectator the fighters I know were good Taekwondo sparrers but as soon as the word's Full contact was used they seemed to forget thier skills and it became a boxing browl with few kicks and little spectator value. This is a phycological problem the risks of the more spectacular kicks are thought to be greater in the mind of the sparer.  A posible answer is increasing the scores for the kicks and flying techniques greatly in coparrison to the punches or limiting the amount of punches not involving kicks as part of a combination this kind of ITF WTF hybread I think could be more spectator friendly. Thoughts ?

Post # 2
Top Sat 9th Aug 2008 15:52
David Sims
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 14
Sir,

I agree with the majority of your post. I agree that at high level events it should be full contact and pretty much is! With WTF it is all about counter attacking - and although its is a bit boring as a spectator sport whe you get a jumping spinning reverse hooking kick that takes your head off I can see why lol!! I heard somewhere that an ITF black belt can be verified by the kukiwon, therefor we can compete in btc events? I may be wrong here, could someone please clarify this?

Taekwon!!
Post # 3
Top Mon 25th Aug 2008 08:25
Jack Martin

USA-4-1010
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 5
Hello Sirs,

I just finished checking out the highlight kicks of the Olympics and what is supposedly referred to as a Taekwon-Do event.  I do not recognize this as being technically, nor proficient in any manner of our ITF art.  Single strike techniques that we study in ITF and even continuous competition wasn't recognizeable.

The sloppy Taekwon-Do tools hardly ever hit their targets with the correct tool and techniques did not even reflect, from my point of view, what the Founder created for us, especially in a competition manner, much less execution of a proper Taekwon-Do technique.

With regards to the individual who kicked the Referee, that certainly doesn't fit our oaths of courtesy or integrity.  I am glad they were ejected.  This venue of displaying what they label as Taekwon-Do, is what is going to get it kicked out of the Olympics and I'm not sure I wouldn't mind as that is no reflection of the art we have learned or I have studied here in America.

With regards to being recognized by the kukiwon, the WTF in the past has offered a rank at least 1 higher for a ITF certificate and at Vth you are considered a Master.  I'd rather stay at my current rank of IVth or a reduced ITF rank as the belt is always black, the number just reflects one's knowledge.

I've chosen to stay with the ITF due to the high level of education and expertise in our ITF organization.  That is why I have chosen not to study other martial arts and be a mixed martial artist.  It will take a lifetime to continue to train, understand and execute proper ITF techniques.  That's a path I can easily recognize, not was is on msn.com under the guise of the name our Founder created and his son, GM Choi, continues to develop.

Taekwon!

Jack Martin, IVth
US-ITF/ITF 
Post # 4
Top Mon 25th Aug 2008 15:15
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Hello,
The olypics in my opinion gives the wrong impression of TKD over the past two weeks I have had to defend our style many times, These were people who said "If that is what you have given 23 years of your life to you have wasted your money" DER NO I gave them all a business card and said have a look at our Tae Kwon Do by visiting my website and watch the videos on line, As predicted within a few days I have got either calls or e-mails saying you are right your styles is wicked and interesting to watch. The problem is WTF is all sport orientated ITF needs to be in the olympics as the TULS and Sparring is more pleaseing to watch.

G.M.Choy of the UK a few years ago said to me the General missed the boat with regards to ITF getting in the olympics (I have no clue what he meant, and was never told how this happened)

The publics conception of TKD is that there is only one TKD when the two styles are different in many ways.

We have now put a notice on our web www.excel-tkd.com that the olympics is not our style of Tae Kwon Do along with a demo video of ITF, saying that WTF are good fighters just that they hold back looking for the big shot.

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 5
Top Tue 26th Aug 2008 09:09
Jack Martin

USA-4-1010
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 5
Good job Mr. Snow!

Jack Martin, IVth
US-ITF/ITF

Post # 6
Top Tue 26th Aug 2008 10:06
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
One comment made in private about why WTF is in tournament the ITF allows too many hits to the head and the practice of the art is quiet dangerous as we dont bother with shields to protect our ribbs this alone probably shocked IOC members saying it is not a sport or its too agessive as there are kids watching it, Parents would probably run a mile seeing our art in full flow and the way everything is politically correct now days, Problem is bouncing around with ya hands down and only throwing 3 or four kicks in a round is even worse IMHO as most think we will do that in a street fight,

Did you know as Tae Kwon Do'ist we don't use our heads, knees, elbows even thingers in the eyes or to the throat if we are attacked!! Angryor at least that is what most think, yet if you use the befor mentioned you get 'I thought you'd fight like them olympic guys' Yeh right fact is as ITF TKD'sist we stay out of trouble and walk away but in a defence situ we use anything to win, Or at least I do the odd piece of wood comes in handy too.

Ermmmm do I hate the WTF Not at all, just think ITF would do a better job of representing TKD

Tae Kwon

END OF RANT Tongue
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Ltd