192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

ITF Taekwon-Do & Media Coverage

3 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Fri 21st Mar 2008 19:21
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 25
one thing that has puzzled me is that considering the growth and current size of the ITF in under 100 years of history compared to other big Martial arts, Media coverage is in my opinion limited.
i'm speaking from the point of view of a "youngster" that missed out on the massive growth period of Taekwon-Do across the world by Gen Choi and the Seniors that helped spread the art.
we all know that WTF gets media coverage mainly during The Olympics and that only happened since 2000!

i'm shocked that there isn't more Media interest in an Internationally recognised federation.
i know that the Internet is a big help nowadays with the Aid of sites like Youtube but even at the last world Champs, the coverage shown on the Midlands BBC news broadcast was limited considering the magnitude of the event.
if it wasn't for Trenic posting the clip on the ITF World Champs website, i wouldn't have even known.

i realise that to the "Average Joe & Jane", there might not be any interest in the Art but due to the number of Members regardless of group or affiliation, there must be a percentage of people that would watch it.

i remember at training, some members that were juniors at the World Champs in Argentina mentioned that parts of the Tournament was covered on national television and others said the same for the World Champs in Korea.

this is not a dig at the UK Media because i don't know the situation from the Junior World Champs in Australia or other previous World Champs, just wondering why it hasn't had more of an impact across the World?
taekwon
this is the beginning of something special
Post # 2
Top Fri 21st Mar 2008 19:25
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
sorry, i forgot to mention,
the only reason i mention this is due to the increase in MMA "cage" promotions that are shown on television in the UK now.
Prior to that, K1 & Pride had similar promotion but at least they showcased skilled martial artists.
with K1, i could only remember seeing one Taekwon-Do competitor from WTF.
no doubt i probably missed the ITF competitor!!
Post # 3
Top Fri 21st Mar 2008 19:32
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
The thing with K1, Cage rage etc and all these MMA styled events is that they are professional sports, with professional fighters which means TV deals and over all packages detailed by big money promoters. Taekwon-Do is an amateur sport in comparison.
I agree it should be better covered. But for TV stations its all about ratings and public opinion. Here in Ireland Setanta Ireland has covered amateur martial art events in the past, including 2 minutes if yours truly being beatin up :)
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 4
Top Fri 21st Mar 2008 19:46
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
very good point Mr Mackey, i do forget that the competitors of those styles are pro fighters!
but saying that there are members that are strictly full-time Taekwon-Do Instructors although not all of them are competitors too.

sorry to hear about the broadcast but at least it was some television coverage!
afterall, any promotion of the Art is better than nothing.

i still find it bizarre considering the epidemic Media promotions of Healthier Living and the need for Children to do more to reduce the number of Obesity and Asthmatic cases.

i'm not implying that Taekwon-Do is the Cure for Obesity in Children but clearly there are many positives for example core physical & mental training, coordination exercises and breathing exercises.
the breathe control has helped my asthma but every person is different.
taekwon
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation