192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

TKD and Korean MA's Interviews

5 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Thu 28th Feb 2008 14:30
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Hi all,

The last 4 issues of Taekwon-Do and Korean martial arts have carried interviews with Master Choi and Master Nicholls.
I would like to congratulate the input from our ITF to these articles and in particular master Choi and master Nicholls. The articles were very profound and I found a deep sense of meaning in each. It is now very clear what our goals should be as Taekwon-Doists and in particular as members of the ITF.
We are truely blessed to have such a man as master Choi leading our oranisaton, he really is an enlightened individual.

Any one that hasn't read the articles, I urge you to get a copy! Smile
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 2
Top Sat 1st Mar 2008 11:27
G Horan

GBR-7-1017
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 17
I agree, it's about time we all took our mask's off and lived by the tenets outside as well as inside the Dojang. I know most do and what might be good is, if we all read the ideal Instructor and the Instructors code of conduct by Gen Choi every month and reflect on how that month has gone or how well we are living by the tenets. Maybe it would be a good idea to get an accountability partner that can ask "How have we been doing"?.
I would also like to say thank you to Master Choi and Master Nicholls for a great vision, and now it's up to us to carry it out.

Taekwon
Glenn Horan V
Post # 3
Top Sat 1st Mar 2008 18:45
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Well put Mr Horan,

I think it takes more than just an intellectual understanding of the tenets. Its all very well reciting them in class but not having a true understanding of them is always a problem. To me the tenets can be summarised by one word - Compassion. To have real compassion one most become or strive to over come the ego. In order to tdo that, you must have a spiritual understanding of one's make up and an understanding of mind. Not to take on that work with oneself means you can only pay lip service to the 'Do' - and we are all guilty of it sometimes as we are only human.
Sometimes its embarrassing to see senior ranks jostle each other about who stands where in the line. This is a starting point for all of us, next time you line up at a seminar, give your place up to the next person, it doesn't matter a bit where you stand, but its a direct challenge to the ego and an act of humilty.
We take everything from Taekwon-Do and give nothing back.
No ego...know mind!
Thats enough for now! Wink

Post # 4
Top Wed 12th Mar 2008 20:56
Chris Peel

GBR-4-1042
Topics: 0 Replies: 16
This may be a whole separate topic, but as it's discussed here I will follow on.

Whether we like it or not we practise a Martial (military) Art structured with hierarchy and grades which breeds ego. I spent 10 years as a 2nd Dan, causing great frustration to my Instructor, deciding to jump off the merry go round. I believed that as long as you living by the Tenets, enjoying your training and continually improving who cares what grade you are.  However I had to jump back on, as the higher the grade you are the more people tend to listen to you and the more you can get done.  I have been to plenty of meetings where peoples views were judged by what grade they were, rather that their experience.

How many times have you heard the words "what grade are you sir" when you first meet somebody.
Post # 5
Top Thu 13th Mar 2008 18:34
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Agreed, very good point.
At seminars members look at your belt before they look at your face.

Post # 6
Top Sat 15th Mar 2008 18:57
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 25
the only defense to that is looking a belt is simply due to not knowing who that person is.
at colour belt there was no problem, we all know the order and jump in line quicker.

between the grades (1st to 3rd), generally students do not know each other, especially when from different clubs, regions and countries so we generally are required to look at belts or ask someone of their grade which may seem rude but removes confusion.

for 4th Dans and above, i'm assuming most will know each other as they may have met numerous times at ITF events based on their years of training. also they can rule out some grades (1st to 3rd) as they have the expert doboks therefore they know whereabouts they will be standing!

At the UK seminar with Master Choi last year in May i remember Mr Mackey was there. At the time i was unsure who Mr Mackey was but now i know that Mr Mackey is "x" grade & from "x" place.
its just a initial requirement, i can't remember having to ask someone their grade twice.
this is the beginning of something special
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation