192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > Technical Forum > 15. Kodang

back to forum | Help | Search

Kodang Tul

Change of name
8 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 9 of 9
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Fri 1st Apr 2011 12:50
Richard Woodrow
Topics: 1 Replies: 1
TaeKwon,
                    I have not trained in TaeKwon-Do for a few years now and am relearning all my patterns up to III Dan. I have noticed that from the technical area at first glance it seems that Pattern Juche which I performed for my III Dan, has been replaced by pattern Kodang which I beleive was practiced even before I started training in TaeKwon-Do.

Would a member please tell me the reason for this as I have not come accross any mention of this in the last edition of the encyclopedia by Gen Choi released in 2004.

Is it simply a change of name or are there more significant differences?

Many thanks,

Richard
Post # 2
Top Fri 1st Apr 2011 13:51
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Hi Richard,

Copied from the "News" section:

Dear Taekwon-Do practitioners,

Please be advised that effective immediately, the tul of "Ju Che" will be known as it was originally created by our founder General Choi Hong Hi as "Kodang".

Taekwon-Do, the Korean martial art was created by our founder to be free of religious and political ideologies. It was General Choi's wish to leave Taekwon-Do to humanity, free of any influence from religion, government and political influence accordingly, it was decided to revert the name to the original name chosen by General Choi.

As we make this change, the ITF reaffirms its desire to remain independent and true to the teachings of our founder.

ITF Administration

The 2004 encyclopedia was released by a North Korean group, not sure what updates where included in that release. We refer to the 1999 edition with the addition of the updates found in the "Technical" section on this site.

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 3
Top Fri 1st Apr 2011 14:44
Richard Woodrow
Topics: 1 Replies: 1
Thank you Sir,

TaeKwon

Richard
Post # 4
Top Thu 21st Apr 2011 18:09
Luigi De Rosa

ITA-4-1034
Topics: 2 Replies: 2
I have found on the web an e-book version of Taekwon-do "Condensed" Encyclopedia. The first page is the same of the 2004 version (but it is not our latest version. As you said our latest version is the 1999 one), but in the contents are integrated our kihaps, technical changes and this pattern is called Kodang.It is only an digital edition distributed by AndrewUk and on it is reported that the latest paperback version is the 1999 and "for any clarification visit our itf website" (www.itf-administration.com). Is it a good version?

TaeKwon
Luigi
Post # 5
Top Fri 22nd Apr 2011 23:43
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Hi Luigi,

Yes this is one of several digital projects being developed by the ITF, An official statement will be issued as soon as all projects are ready for mainstream distribution.

ITF Administration

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 6
Top Mon 25th Apr 2011 01:54
Joseph Marrero

PUR-3-1004
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 5
SabomNim Skyrme
taekwon
This is great I got a copy just a few minutes ago, I wonder if the ITF will wait until the Kihaps for the remaining tuls to become official in order to make another revision and make it official?
Also is there any news about the research into the Kihaps?

thanks in advance sir
Post # 7
Top Sat 14th Jul 2012 18:55
JBCAlaska

USA-3-1212
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 14
Greetings Sirs - do you have a web address with which to download the e-copy of the updated encyclopedia you refer to? I have not been able to locate it. Thank you!

Best,

John
John Carnahan - ITFUSITF -- Alaska, USA
Post # 8
Top Mon 23rd Jul 2012 17:42
MikeCarr

GBR-3-2065
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 17
Here you go John
http://www.bluecottagetkd.com/ENCYCLOPEDIAOFTAEKWON-DO.html
Post # 9
Top Sat 25th Aug 2012 04:18
JBCAlaska

USA-3-1212
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 14
Thank you Mr. Carr. Unless I am looking in the wrong place, the website only has the 1965 version, the Spanish version of the Condensed, and the 15 volume set. I had communicated with the web manager for BCTKD and he too was seeking an English version of the Condensed Encyclopedia. I would like it for my IPad, as it is much easier to carry and reference than my other hard copies!

Tank you for your reply.

J
John Carnahan - ITFUSITF -- Alaska, USA
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 9 of 9
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited