192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > Technical Forum > 6. Joong-Gun

back to forum | Help | Search

low section snap kicks

21 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 20 of 22
1 2 > last
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Fri 5th Mar 2010 10:07
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Topics: 11 Replies: 191

Moves 2 and 5 are low section kicks,right? what defines low section? As in the Legacy cd roms, the video looks like it is a definate middle section kick????? i have always been taught that this kick is done between knee and groin level. To me, low section is not the waist or middle abdomen.

Can someone please clarify?

Post # 2
Top Sat 6th Mar 2010 12:42
Ben Thompson

GBR-3-2163
Topics: 0 Replies: 4
Hi Midnight Star,

I have been taught this technique as being a low section kick. To define low section I will say between the knee and the umbilical (belly button) and, that in this particular pattern, techniques 2 and 5 are at umbilical level. That should tell you the immediate impact point.
So I agree with what you say! This point of impact in my eyes and by what I've been taught is correct unless it is clarified otherwise.

From Ben
Post # 3
Top Sat 6th Mar 2010 16:05
bernadette doyle

IRL-4-1041
Topics: 4 Replies: 13

Hello there,

Low kick , the manual states:

"when the attacking tool reaches the same level of the unbilicus of the attacker at the moment of impact, it is called a low attack"

So its acutally the level of your own unbilicus that the attacking tool reaches, you could in fact be attacking a smaller persons high section or middle section etc..

hope that helps!

Bernadette

Post # 4
Top Sat 6th Mar 2010 19:11
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
but that seems crazy as i wouldn't class your belly button as a low section. To me, low section would be groin and below or at the very least,BELOW the umbilicus???

i'm just comfused as i've always been taught this kick in this pattern is approx knee level or a little higher.

Kicking at belly button height (i tried it in my kitchen earlier!) felt really wrong,as to me, this felt like middle section.

Thanks for your input Ben and Bernie! Always good to ask and clarify =)
Post # 5
Top Sun 7th Mar 2010 17:15
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123
Hi Star,

In the clip you refer to the two kicks are simply too high to what they should be.
That is why it is good to have The Encyclopedia with updates as posted on the technical section of this website.

The height is based on the attacker.

In various sources (The Encyclopedia, 4 band videos and DVDs) there are discrepancies on heights (Nopunde, Kaunde & Najunde). Some errors can be placed on the camera angle. The technical section of this website is key in establishing/clarifying the standard.

Keep up the good work Mr. Skyrme.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 6
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 11:50
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148

Taken from the book

Body Sections

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 7
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 11:53
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile

lol, very nice!

but where exactly should the low kicks in joong gun be aimed at??

i know they're low section,but is there a specific target, eg, knee, groin etc??

Post # 8
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 11:58
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Master Nicholls teaches us to kick between the umbilical and groin. A strike here is very effective in disrupting the balance of the opponent.

Hope that helps

www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 9
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 12:01
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile

so is that what Master Choi teaches across the board too?

I was always taught knee height for this kick in this pattern that's all, so was a bit confused when i saw a video  where Master Nicholls was teaching and students seemed to be doing them at waist height. I'd always assumed that was classed as mid-section

Post # 10
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 12:04
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Master Nicholls works closely with Master Choi so i would assume that is the case. But then again you know what they say about assumption lol.

I will ask, and get back to you.

www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 11
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 12:06
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile

Thank you.

That would indeed be helpful. Don't want to be kicking someone in the knee when i should be kicking them in the.........??!!!! lol

Post # 12
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 12:09
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
OK i asked, Thats the benefit of working in the office next door. Frontkick is not used to attack the groin but is directed forward and thus aimed as mentioned, travelling in a forward motion on impact.

www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 13
Top Fri 26th Mar 2010 18:53
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile

aimed as mentioned, being the bit between the groin and umbilicus? But is the front kick in joong gun not a front SNAP kick?

I would not have thought a front snap kick would be aimed at that area you mention? More like the groin/knee???

Post # 14
Top Sun 28th Mar 2010 18:15
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Sorry that's me being lazy. Should have typed front snap kick, so yes we aim between the umbilical and groin. Just out of interest what height do you kick the front snap kicks in Yul-Gok? As the text description is the same "execute low front snap kick"

www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 15
Top Sun 28th Mar 2010 22:37
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile

wow, didnt expect a reply on a Sunday!

Yul Gok? same. between knee and groin.

Don't be so lazy in futurelol

WOOOOAAHH!!!! Just watching MOST HAUNTED live in Prague!!!!!  EEEEEEKKKKK!!!!

Post # 16
Top Wed 26th May 2010 17:24
G Horan

GBR-7-1017
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 17
Hi All,
The problem is the with terms Low and Low section as they are different!
When the term Low is used, it relates to the practitioner as in patterns and fundamental movements.
When the term Low section is used it relates to your opponent.

When performing a Low attack it should be level with your own umbilicus, middle attack level with your shoulders and high attack level with your eyes.

However, low section can be any where from your opponents shoulders to the top of their head, middle section between your opponents shoulders and their waist, and low section from your opponents waist to the floor as in the diagram Mr Skyrme submitted.

Therefore, you could execute a low attack to your opponents high section (very small person or your opponent is about to get up from the floor) , as stated previously.

This is all in the encyclopaedia.

Both Joong-Gun and Yul Gok the kicks mentioned should finish level with the practitioners umbilicus, as it is stated to be a Low attack.

No fundamental movement when performed without an opponent should be called a section!
i.e Middle section punch, it should be called a Middle punch.

Hope that helps.

Glenn.

Post # 17
Top Wed 26th May 2010 17:56
Mike Cude

GBR-5-1058
Topics: 2 Replies: 10
Quote from Glenn Horan - 26th May 2010 17:24 View
Hi All,
The problem is the with terms Low and Low section as they are different!
When the term Low is used, it relates to the practitioner as in patterns and fundamental movements.
When the term Low section is used it relates to your opponent.

When performing a Low attack it should be level with your own umbilicus, middle attack level with your shoulders and high attack level with your eyes.

However, low section can be any where from your opponents shoulders to the top of their head, middle section between your opponents shoulders and their waist, and low section from your opponents waist to the floor as in the diagram Mr Skyrme submitted.

Therefore, you could execute a low attack to your opponents high section (very small person or your opponent is about to get up from the floor) , as stated previously.

This is all in the encyclopaedia.

Both Joong-Gun and Yul Gok the kicks mentioned should finish level with the practitioners umbilicus, as it is stated to be a Low attack.

No fundamental movement when performed without an opponent should be called a section!
i.e Middle section punch, it should be called a Middle punch.

Hope that helps.

Glenn.

Mr Horan, hi sir I think you've got a typo on your post and meant to say high section on the bit I've highlighted above.  Like most people I need to read the encyclopaedia more often but the info from you guys on this website really does help and prompts us to learn and clarify further.

Taekwon

Mike   (PS, thanks for organising the GM Choi seminar last year, I had a really great day)

Post # 18
Top Wed 26th May 2010 18:05
G Horan

GBR-7-1017
View Profile
Hi Mike,

Yes should have been High section, sorry!!

Glad you enjoyed it, it was a great day.

Thank you.
Post # 19
Top Thu 27th May 2010 23:39
Mike Cude

GBR-5-1058
Topics: 2 Replies: 10

Mr Horan

Hi sir, just a follow up question specifically about the front snap kick. 

It is noted in the encyclopeadia that it is not adviseable for the front snap kick to go higher than ones own solar plexus which would imply it is not possible to deliver a middle front snap kick as you would need reach shoulder height to achieve a middle kick as per the definition of a middle kick in the encyclopeadia. 

Despite this a number of patterns require a middle front snap kick to be performed, what height should these be delivered at?

Taekwon

Mike

Post # 20
Top Sat 29th May 2010 13:31
G Horan

GBR-7-1017
View Profile
Hi Mike,

Gen Choi did say a front snap kick was different from other kicks in that as you said there isn't a high front snap kick and therefore the middle kick is executed level with your solar plexus.
That means there isn't much difference from a middle or low front snap kick!

Regards
Glenn.
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 20 of 22
1 2 > last
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited