192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > Feedback

back to forum | Help | Search

Question about the punch in Hwa Rang

6 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sat 1st Mar 2008 10:28
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Hello,
         I was asked a question recently about the punch in L Stance a question that totally threw me as to be honest I was always told this.

When in L stance executing the reverse punch the leading leg was the one in front and the punch was called reverse punch, So I have always taught this this way.

As the student asked and the fact he had herd different I began to question my own knowledge of it and searched for an answer.

After looking at the CD's ITF and the Encylopedia it states -

The leading leg is the one with the most weight on ie Back Leg and the punch is in fact called an obverse punch..... WOW Confused

So I found my answer but I asked a Master who also was from the same original group as me and he stated that the independents generally call it reverse punch and my way was how they generally teach. I asked him who is right then? The reply no one really as if you were independent it would be your way but if you are ITF you have to teach it the ITF way so no confusion amounst ITF...

Question: Why is the movement taught these two ways or have I been misinformed

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 2
Top Sat 1st Mar 2008 11:15
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Hi Chris,

Within Imperial we have always taught that punch as obverse, its one of the small technically points that you find ITF schools differ from independents. As with right and wrong that is a matter of perception. ITF Taekwon-Do is constantly evolving and Independent clubs or schools very often have no access to current ITF standards or amendments making them out of date rather than wrong.

That said being a member of the ITF under Master Choi Jung Hwa the punch is classed as obverse.

Hope that helps

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 3
Top Sat 1st Mar 2008 12:05
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
That Helps explain things 100% sir, I thought it would because the group I mentioned has not been part of the ITF for many years like many of the independents.

Thank you
Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 4
Top Tue 25th Mar 2008 12:43
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
I went to the old 1965 edition of Taekwon-Do just to see what Gen. Choi wrote on this. It was called a lunge punch in stead of obverse punch. It says," this was misinterpreted in the past as back stance reverse punch, but it is properly considered back stance lunge punch from  the fact that the punch is delivered from the same side of the the leg bent purposely.

Even though the terms are different the punch is the same Obverse( lunge) punch L (back) stance.

Mike
Taekwon!!

Mike

www.drysdaletkd.com

Post # 5
Top Tue 25th Mar 2008 19:50
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Greetings,

On the topic of Hwa Rang. I recall learning this punch from the L-stance, but the punch was not towards C, but rather at a 45 degree angle. Now this was very odd. I was told at the time this was the placement of my opponent. It always felt odd and not very strong because the shape of your feet to the punch makes a triangle. The punch seemed weak because it didn't have the body mass to aid in power, at least at that angle.

Was anyone else taught this way?
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 6
Top Wed 26th Mar 2008 22:51
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Mr Munyon,
We were always taught the punch is to the front by G.M. Choy of the UK beacuse of the reason you have stated. TBH its the way myself and my instructors teach it even though we are more ITF then ever before now. I know the ITF do it the way you state but it has always been choice not to do it that way at least until G.M.Choi or one of the high seniors gives us a reason why it can not be executed that way.

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 7
Top Thu 10th Apr 2008 21:30
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
Quote from Michael Munyon - 25th Mar 2008 19:50 View
Greetings,

On the topic of Hwa Rang. I recall learning this punch from the L-stance, but the punch was not towards C, but rather at a 45 degree angle. Now this was very odd. I was told at the time this was the placement of my opponent. It always felt odd and not very strong because the shape of your feet to the punch makes a triangle. The punch seemed weak because it didn't have the body mass to aid in power, at least at that angle.

Was anyone else taught this way?
Punching on a 45 degree angle feels more comfortable then punching to C with an obverse punch. how about a reverse punch to C?  More reach, half facing.
Taekwon!!

Mike

www.drysdaletkd.com

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation