192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Kodang (formally Juche) Back Piercing Kick, Movement 40

7 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 8 of 8
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 8th Jul 2008 17:26
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123

Hello Sirs,

At the Cork IIC led by GM Choi in March 2008, it was explained that for the back piercing kick, the face should face forwards and not at the target.

For Movement 40 in Kodang, does that mean that the face is not turned to D while forming a bending stance B toward C? Or is the face turned to D initially, but then returned towards C as the actual kick is made?

Also, as the actual kick is made, are the arms outstretched as in forming a bending stance B, or are they pulled in as if in a guarding block; or, held in another way?

We did not reach Juche, now Kodang, at that IIC.

I have the third (1993) edition of the Encyclopedia of Taekwon-Do.

Thank you for any assistance to these questions.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 2
Top Wed 9th Jul 2008 12:33
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Hello Mr Borja,
Master Dalton taught me this pattern and we also went through it with President Choi and Master Nicholls in England 2 years ago.
From my recollection, as you perform the bending ready stance B, there is a look over the left shoulder. As you kick out it is hard to look directly over the shoulder for the correct form on dwi cha jirugi so although you are looking left you cannot really look directly at the kick.
The arms are held as they were in bending ready stance B, for me they re-orientate slightly in position to maintain balance as the kick is performed slowly.

Hope that helps sir,

ps- I am still awating to get those names back from my Korean student!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Wed 9th Jul 2008 15:02
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 34
Taekwon

Mr. Mackey is correct. Do you slightly look over your shoulder but do not turn your neck fully otherwise you will tend to turn your back kick into a side kick. The important thing is the leg kicks straight back without lifting the knee up and making the kick look like a side piercing kick. The angle of the kicking foot is also different from the the angle in a side kick. The arms are held the way they are in a bending stance, then the leg is extended.

Taekwon
Master Parm Rai
Post # 4
Top Wed 9th Jul 2008 15:04
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 34
Sorry, grammer mistake. The second sentence should read "You do slightly look over.......

Taekwon
Master Parm Rai
Post # 5
Top Thu 10th Jul 2008 08:22
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Hello Mr. Mackey,

Thank you for the answer.
"No worries, mate" on the Korean names. Please send what/when you can.
Good job on your group's successes at the European championships.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 6
Top Thu 10th Jul 2008 08:26
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Hello Master Rai,

Thank you for putting your authoritative seal of approval on Mr. Mackey's answer, Sir.
Given your rank and position in our ITF, your active participation on this forum is really appreciated by those who seek answers!

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 7
Top Thu 10th Jul 2008 11:52
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Quote from Bob Borja - 10th Jul 2008 08:26 View
Hello Master Rai,

Thank you for putting your authoritative seal of approval on Mr. Mackey's answer, Sir.
Given your rank and position in our ITF, your active participation on this forum is really appreciated by those who seek answers!

I second that!

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 8
Top Fri 11th Jul 2008 12:04
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
"formally" in topic title should have been "formerly".
Good spell-checkers are hard to come by these days. : )

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 8 of 8
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Ltd