192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

The credit crunch has begun

hows the credit crunch effecting you?
3 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 24th Jun 2008 08:19
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Here in the UK things are taking there toll on most business, but in TKD they are also hitting us pretty bad too - infact so bad we have had to cancel the Master Rai Seminar in October which is sad to say the least.

From January to June we have seen less students take part in events so much so a training day this week end which last year had 90 attend has gone to 40 which is poor.

Students are cutting back from 2 classes to 1 per week - Tournament participation is down and excursions are being sat out of.

Its a bleak future - Anyone else notice this during the last 6 months?

C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 2
Top Tue 24th Jun 2008 12:13
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Afraid not Mr Snow, my membership is up for the summer months. We're sending 7 competitors alone from my clubs to the Europeans, all expenses paid due to fund raising.
We're thinking about expanding in September, and introducing new classes to suit beginners better. If students fit Taekwon-Do training into the category of weekly chore or it being a comodity then they will pack it in as the few bob gets scarce. Create an atmosphere where Taekwon-Do is a way of life, fun and an escape from the norm then people will always come.
I started back in 87 probably a lot longer after you sir, but my folks had nothing. Our toilet was an out house, we had no fridge - the milk was left outside to keep fresh and there were 4 rooms in total in a ver y small house. I always had my 3 old pounds for weekly subs - Taekwon-Do was all I had to look forward to. That needs to be created in all Do-Jangs.

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Tue 24th Jun 2008 14:41
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Quote from Jon_Mackey - 24th Jun 2008 12:13 View
Afraid not Mr Snow, my membership is up for the summer months. We're sending 7 competitors alone from my clubs to the Europeans, all expenses paid due to fund raising.
We're thinking about expanding in September, and introducing new classes to suit beginners better. If students fit Taekwon-Do training into the category of weekly chore or it being a comodity then they will pack it in as the few bob gets scarce. Create an atmosphere where Taekwon-Do is a way of life, fun and an escape from the norm then people will always come.
I started back in 87 probably a lot longer after you sir, but my folks had nothing. Our toilet was an out house, we had no fridge - the milk was left outside to keep fresh and there were 4 rooms in total in a ver y small house. I always had my 3 old pounds for weekly subs - Taekwon-Do was all I had to look forward to. That needs to be created in all Do-Jangs.

Jon
I think you are right, we have a hard core like taht you have mentioned, but there are about 60% just doing it as a sport - The trick is how to make them think TKD is a life art not just a past time.

As to doing TKD longer then you - I started in January 1986 and did not grade till getting booted out of a club for not grading APROX 13 months, I joined another club and three months later was told grade or leave so then I started taking exams.... reluctantly,  both coaches said it was wrong for a white belt to kick the green and blue belts around the floor in sparring, Then again nowdays white belts can not spar unless they take there first belt first and they have there spar gear in place.

eeeeerrrrrr how things change.... our numbers have not fallen badly only slightly just makes you think before advertising

C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 4
Top Tue 24th Jun 2008 20:32
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
I really should have graded more often :D
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic