192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Time Needed to Train up to Gae-Baek

A Survey
4 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 23rd Nov 2010 16:29
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123
Hello, How long do you think it would take you, as a black belt, to train someone "off the streets", strickly on Tuls, all Tuls up to and including Gae-Baek for competition: a) if you could train this person for an hour once a week? b) if you could train this person for an hour twice a week? c) if you could train this person for an hour three times a week? Thanks.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 2
Top Tue 23rd Nov 2010 19:55
MikeCarr

GBR-3-2065
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 17
I think it depends on who you are training, how good their memory is, their natural TaeKwon-Do ability, age etc.. and it also depends on the instructor and how well they impart their knowledge.

But I think somebody JUST learning tul and nothing else and with no other classmates, they would become bored and there would be no sense of community.
Post # 3
Top Thu 2nd Dec 2010 07:33
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Quote from MikeCarr - 23rd Nov 2010 19:55 View
I think it depends on who you are training...

Hi Mr. Carr, I do understand what you are saying. However, I am looking for a general consensus despite all the many variables you have mentioned and then some. For example, one could take an "average" time for "average" persons in one's group to become competition ready in Tuls up through Gae-Baek. If that "average" was based on one attendance a week, then project to two times or three times a-week attendance; a kind of best guessing. Also, if "average" time spent on Tuls was thirty minutes in class, then project to an hour. The feedback I hope to get is intended to feed into another, broader subject at a later time. Taekwon.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 4
Top Fri 3rd Dec 2010 15:13
MikeCarr

GBR-3-2065
View Profile
Topics: 7 Replies: 17
I would estimate, for 1 hour per week it would be:

Chon-Ji = 2 weeks to remember the movements
Dan-Gun = 3 weeks to remember the movements
Do-San = 3 weeks to remember the movements
Allow 1 week to practise the 3 patterns

Won-Who = 3 weeks to remember the movements
Yul-Gok = 4 weeks to remember the movements
Joong-Gun = 4 weeks to remember the movements
Allow 2 weeks to practise the 6 patterns

Toi-Gye = 4 weeks to remember the movements
Hwa-Rang = 3 weeks to remember the movements
Choong-Moo = 4 weeks to remember the movements
Allow 3 weeks to practise the 9 patterns

Kwang-Gae = 4 weeks to remember the movements
Po-Eun = 3 weeks to remember the movements
Ge-Baek = 5 weeks to remember the movements
Allow 4 weeks to practise the 12 patterns

Coincidentally, this totals to 52 weeks, or 1 year!
Post # 5
Top Sat 4th Dec 2010 17:37
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile

Nicely laid out.

Thank you, Mr. Carr.

Hope to get input also from others.

Taekwon.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Ltd