192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Testing and being asks to test

4 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Mon 14th Apr 2008 21:38
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
This question popped into my head. Many schools will have a list of students the teacher feels are ready to test for their next rank. My question is, would it be disrespectful to decline to test at that time.

Post # 2
Top Mon 14th Apr 2008 21:55

View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
I think so yes.
If the instructor feels a student is ready, well then they are ready and should give it their best shot.
Unless the reason for not testing is a valid one, the student should go ahead with the test.

Just my thoughts
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde
Post # 3
Top Tue 15th Apr 2008 11:51
Bob Borja

View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123

Mr. Boik,

To decline is likely to be seen as disrespectful by both the trainer and other students; but surely a good trainer can understand if a good reason is made known to him.

However, if at all possible, it would be practical to test when the trainer decides that a student is ready from the viewpoint that the student may be unable to test at a preferred later date due to health (i.e., weather related sickness), family, school (i.e., trips & exams), or professional reasons.

You asked a good question I can imagine many good students ask of themselves, at times.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 4
Top Tue 15th Apr 2008 12:39
Mr Snow

View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Sir, I refused rank 4 times as to me i was dealing with my father who had cancer and it was too much to cope with, Just attending class and just losing the stress in my life for the hours I was there was more beneficial, After he passed I took the grades and passed with flying colours, Many have reasons for not promoting and as coaches we have to understand that all our lives are different. I know once my cercumstances changed I was able to move up with out worry as the time on the mat had strengthened my tecniques and attitude.

In fact I have a red belt lady who has missed 1st Kup test 3 times now due to work, yet she is a fab Tae Kwon Do'ist but if she cant make the area exam she can not grade. It annoys me loads but I have to just grin and bare it - She would be better as a 1st Dan as she would find sparring parters who would give her a good spar.

If they are plain lazy and no circumstances for delaying rank - yes that is disrespectful but not every one is interested in promotions. Just my opinion though Smile
Post # 5
Top Tue 15th Apr 2008 12:51
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
Thank you for your answers. I think that the student feels he/she wants to show their best and feel they can do better if they wait. This is whats great about having a teacher who can objectively measure you knowledge and skill. A student will always be self contious of their skill. It takes a good teacher to push you sometimes.

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 5 of 5
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited