192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Tenets and Student Oath Question

10 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 11 of 11
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Thu 1st May 2008 23:00
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Greetings,

For as long as I can remember, I have always raised my right hand for both the Tenets and Student Oath. 

We can all easily see why we raise our right hand for the TKD Student Oath.

My question is....What is the purpose of us raising our hand for the Tenets of TKD?

One of my students who's a 3rd Dan who was from a different INO group stated that they don't raise their right hand for the tenets....just the student oath.

I've done it for both.  I then watched the Legacy Videos and they too raise their hand for both the tenets and student oath.

Just curious to see what other schools/INO's do and get their explaination as to why we raise our hand for the tenets?

Thanks.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 2
Top Thu 1st May 2008 23:41
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
we do Same as you Sir, always have and always will do it that way.... I was asked why we do it at all I said I think its like pledging our legance to the art and somthing to do with the discipline the arts members should learn to live by in and out of the Do-Jang. I would be intetrested as to why General Choi put it in to TKD in the first place.... As my answer is some what vague.
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 3
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 00:14
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 34
Excellent question.

I can tell you the procedure which was done at the ITF Dojang where Pres. Choi used to teach and Gen. Choi used to come.

After we have done the bowing to Gen. Choi if you have a picture and then to the head instructor, the assistant to the assistant bows in the assistant. The assistant to the instructor then says raise your right hand... student oath #1.
and then all the students say "I shall observe the tenants of Taekwon-Do", Courtesy, integrity and so on. Then the assistant says student oath #2 and every one says it out loud and we continue in this fashion until the end. Once finished the assistant says pharo, and the class starts.

This way it is uniformed and disciplined.

The reason why the hand stays up is because we are actually saying the tenants out load after the first student oath and then continue with the second student oath and so forth.

I hope this is clear, if not I will try to clear it up more.

Taekwon

Master Rai
Master Parm Rai
Post # 4
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 01:39
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Yes sir. Thanks Master Rai. I just got off the phone with Mr. Malefyt and he explained the same way. He said you explained it to him approx 5 years ago. It makes sense the way you and Mr. Malefyt explained it.

The hard part about all this is finding the current and correct references out there. As far as I was concerned as well as Mr. Snow, we were doing it the correct way.

Luckily we are all physically and mentally flexible and can easily adjust to change.

Again, thanks for the info.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 5
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 02:35
Nick Malefyt

USA-6-1015
Topics: 2 Replies: 50
Sorry Mr. Munyon,

Just got on and I see Master Rai already cleared that up for you.

Taekwon,

Nick Malefyt
Post # 6
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 09:14
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Erm, we don't do it that way,

We bow to the FLAGS ITF / LTSI
Senior instructor stands to the right of the class
Most senior in class says come to attention raise your right hand - Then recites the tenets then the oath then they say 'Snow sabum nimke kyunye' Class starts

Weve done it that way for as long as I have been learning - ITF way seems strange, Not sure we'd ever do the way Master Rai said as it seems long winded way.

Am I right in the way I read it - You do one oath then all the tenets so that means you do the tenets four times over? I have to ask why is it done that way?

Also how do you guys end your class

We come to attention, turn to the right and dress the uniform and most senior says '' Chariot Snow sabum nimke kyunye' 2nd Senior says face the most senior 'Chariot Kyunye' 1st Senior raises the hand and says 'Hassan' and we all clapp and are dissmissed.
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 7
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 14:40
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Mr. Snow.

You do not say the tenents 4 times over, only once after the 1st student oath. Then you just continue with the student oath. When I come over in October, I will go over the procedure. You will see it is more clear and very short and sweet.

Taekwon

Master Rai
Master Parm Rai
Post # 8
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 16:53
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Oh I see Sir so,

I shall oberve the tenets of TKD - Courtesy - Integrety - Perservierance- self Control - Indomitable Spirit.
I shall respect my instructor and seniors
I shall nerver misuse Tae Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
I shall build a more piecful world -

My one I shall learn how to say it correctly LOL - Is this how it is done sir?
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 9
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 17:49
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Mr. Snow

You've got it.
Master Parm Rai
Post # 10
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 22:22
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Thats a much tidier way of incorporating both!

Thats the way i'll do it from now on! Thank you Master Rai.

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 11
Top Fri 2nd May 2008 22:28
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Me too but the troops are not gonna be happy.
oh well if it makes it accross the board of the ITF I am gain.
Thank you Sir.
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 11 of 11
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Ltd