192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Are we too discipline for our own good?

5 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sun 27th Apr 2008 19:57
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Are we too discipline for our own good? I ask because a 2nd Dan 14 Year old recently got attacked and he did not fight back against the 15 year old boy who is a boxer. He suffers a broken nose two black eyes because he let the jerk hit him with no retaliation.

His dad a 3rd Dan asked him why not fight back ! his reply was I don't want to get kicked out the LTSI for missusing my art.

Led me to think are we disciplining our members too much, Surely the purpose is if attacked we have the right to use minimal force to over power the beligerant thugs. Personally I have had too many fights in my years, I've  had knife pulled on me, bats used against me and lost about 10 teath in street scrapps, I have won a few and lost a few and suffered some harsh bruising but lucky or unlucky I have never thought twice about getting stuck in once under attack but thats probably because of my upbrining,.

Back to the question many take up TKD to learn defence (many have never had a fight in there lifes) so when is it ok for them to fight back, now this kid is getting agro off this jerk because he knows he is a BB Tae Kwon Doist and he did nothing the first time of attack.

I said to him get him alone and give him what he wants but make it count, yet even I think Disapprove erm not good as two wrongs dont make a right or do they?

Are we being too hard on our students hence the mind set? perhaps we should be saying when you have to fight ie are under attack use what you know, Then again I have never used TKD in a fight it has always been the head but, knees, thumb in the eye grabbing the ears and a good aray of punches thats worked or somtimes NOTCry.

If this was your student how would you deal with this problem? or rather advise him too. Maybe i may not be the correct person to advise.Angry

'Bliamy I reccon if I keep posting you guys are gonna start blanking me' I have the same motto as BT 'It's good to talk' or rather POST - LOLLOL

C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 2
Top Mon 28th Apr 2008 19:46
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Mr. Snow,

Sorry to hear about the bully incident. I'm a firm believer that if you can walk away from a fight then you're undefeated. :)

I, from time to time talk about when it's ok and when it's not ok to use TKD to my kid students. Self Defense & Defense of Others are two situations I stress are good times to use their TKD.

Though it's not the best thing to teach I also stress the following:
"If you can't get out of a fight....get into it."

Sometimes it takes only 1 fight to have people leave you alone and oddly enough to make new friends.

Just my 2 cents.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 3
Top Tue 29th Apr 2008 00:05
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Thanks Sir, you made some fair points.
I will always say walk away esp as it goes against what we teach, but some times you have to act and letting some bafoon knock you around is the time I think.
TK
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 4
Top Tue 29th Apr 2008 14:03
James Horobin

GBR-3-1026
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 6
Sirs.

TaeKwon-Do is a self defence art and this was clearly a self defence situation. The lad would have been well within the ethos of his art to defend himself. Bullying should not be tolorated. But it is sadly a reality for many people especualy those of a school age . I feel it should be stamped out early and my advice to the student would be as you suggest to deal with the guy the next time this bullying accures.

As to your point about you having never used Taekwondo in a fight. I would differ as in any fight a TKD artist finds himself in whatever his response may be if it is a headbut or thumb in the eye (as you stated) this is still Taekwondo as it relise on the timing, speed, cordination and confedence etc. which TKD training has provided .

My instructer Master Harry told me once after I told him of an unavoidable situation I had been in. We should never start a situation and avoid one wherever possible but if it is not possible we should always finish it.

Post # 5
Top Tue 29th Apr 2008 14:42
David Sims
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 14
'We should never start a situation and avoid one wherever possible but if it is not possible we should always finish it.'

"If you can't get out of a fight....get into it."

Both these are excellent examples that I would tell my students. I say to my students that you will know when it is the right time to use self defence. When the time arises you nedd to strike first and strike hard because it is a dangerous world out there. Also I think that what is sometime right morally - is not right legally. This can often be a problem.

Post # 6
Top Tue 29th Apr 2008 21:20
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Bang on the button........I have never used TKD but without TKD would I had the confidence? Erm yep your correct TKD has helped me regardless of what i may think..
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited