192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Combinations

8 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 9 of 9
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Thu 24th Apr 2008 16:49
James Horobin

GBR-3-1026
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 6
Sirs.

Can any of your help me I am taking my 4th Dan this year (hopefully).  Im looking through the encyclopedia to make sure I get all the combinations right in the patterns. I understand most of it but am unsure as to the difference between a connecting motion and a continuous one.
Post # 2
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 17:33
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
I hope I can help here,
Continuous motion would be the motion in Dan Gun tul where we move from the outer forearm low block to the outer forearm rising block. Continuous motion is defined as 2 techniques, 2 sine waves, one continuous breath.

Connecting motion would be for example the movement between the second palm hooking block in Yul Gok and the middle punch. Connecting motion is defined as 2 techniques, 1 sine wave and a connecting breath, or a connecting movement fluidly from one to the other.

Hope that helps!
Good luck with your preperations

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 17:41
Matt Payne

GBR-4-1043
Topics: 0 Replies: 2
Hi all, Hope you don't mind me getting involved (first post and all)

This brings a question that I have been trying to answer for a while.

What is the purpose of the continuious breath in continuious motion?

My understanding is that there is one breath but with two sharp exhales (linked together)
Why don't we just have two breaths?

or is it just to further define the difference between fast motion and continuious?

Hope this makes sense.
I will be interest in peoples thoughts.

Matt
Post # 4
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 17:41
James Horobin

GBR-3-1026
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 6
Spot on Thanks.
Post # 5
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 20:27
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Hi Mr Payne how are things?

Good question, i did forget to say that there you exacerbate the breath on each block in continuous motion. As for the reason for the continuous breath, I looked up breath control in the encyclopedia and will quote this bit;

"never inhale while focusing a block or strike against an opponent. Not only will this impede movement but will also result in a loss of power"

Taking that into account, if the movements are performed in a way that results in them done with speed and with seperate sine waves other wise known as continuous motion, well then we need to continue the breath so we do not have that inhalation spoken about in that paragraph.

Thats my take on it anyways, maybe others can add to it?
Jon

Post # 6
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 23:17
Matt Payne

GBR-4-1043
Topics: 0 Replies: 2
Thanks for the response Mr Mackey I hadnt thought to look it up there

I have just read that section of the Encyclopedia and what I understand from it is that the focus of the technique is the actual moment of the attack/defence, and that the preperation of the technique an inhale is correct to do.

So this suggests that in normal motion going from block to bock you breath in(which we all do anyway). So what is the purpose of not breathing in, in continuous motion? We breath in in fast motion.

Thanks again for your thoughts/help so far

Matt

Post # 7
Top Fri 25th Apr 2008 10:07
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Hi Mr Payne,

I'm not 100% sure if im honest, but the only conclusion I can come to is that the continuous motion is done against an attack that is used against us in a faster manner than normal motion, therefore there isn't the time to inhale to perform seperate techniques, so we run through one technique to the next as continuous motion exacerbating each exhalation on contact. We use one inhalation for this movement.

Not even sure if I make sense!!

Jon

Post # 8
Top Sat 26th Apr 2008 14:25
Glen Jones

AUS-1-1124
Topics: 4 Replies: 10
Hi all

Im sick of having arguments over patterns, in most cases I am proven wrong in what I am doing untill I show what a logical way of doing that move or moves would be.

Most of it is impractical, Master Choi stated in his artical in the "Australasian Taekwondo" magazine that the patterns were a way of exercising. I have seen karate kata used in fantastic self defance "Go kan ryu" and to me this is what it should have been designed for. As it stands all its good for is gradings and competition.

Glen
Post # 9
Top Sat 26th Apr 2008 14:46
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Sorry Mr Jones,
I dissagree, then again I would :-) Personally many make claims that TKD tuls mean nothing apart from exercise, well I use to believe this until we had Mr Anslow in for a seminar and this year Master Willy Lim will be visiting the UK and demonstrating where the self defence is in all the patterns. I will be attending that defo....

I recently asked Mr Anslow where his information came from for his book, no other then Master Willy Lim who is devoted to teaching patterns as they were designed in his opinion for the battle field (His words not mine)

So I guess what I am saying is tuls are useless for Self Defence unless your coach or you sit courses like the Master Willy Lims seminars and explore the hidden self defence and only then will you be able to say if what we learn in patterns is any good or not.

personally I think you need to understand we are all Martial Artist first then Tae Kwon Do'ist second, what I mean by this is take part in various seminars and you will see much of what we learn is very similar to most of the other arts. If your coach instructor is one who says don't ask me questions you gotta find a new one as a good coach/ instructor is happy to answer questions but will say when they don't know the answer ' Leave that with me I will find an answer for you'

Too many people bag Tae Kwon Do esp those that seen the olympic version it has much to give but you have to explore and cross refereance certain things we do with the other arts then and only then will it become a system you will believe in.

Boy where did that all come from - Its called my passion for the art
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 9 of 9
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Ltd