192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Do instructors have to train?

11 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 12 of 12
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Thu 24th Apr 2008 09:27
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
Yep a real stupid question, Let me explain I have always had the opinion if you teach you should be training with your main coach at least once a week or making the courses at the very least to maintain standards and continue moving up the ranks.

Let me explain, A student of mine teaches twice a week he has probably been at class 6 times in the last year, Taken no courses or seminars recently he attended a class and had no clue from 3rd Kup up a real head ache for me as his coach, He came to an area exam and his two 3rd Kups failed poorly. He got the hump.

The question is how do you deal with students like this, He's been with me 10 years but active class time probably 6 years a very chequred past indeed.

To me if you want to teach you make your coaches class religously so you can learn properly and pass it on, all our new instructors know this rule so no problem there its just this one guy.

What do you think about this problem I am facing should BB's when they become coaches have the right to say I aint training under my coach again as I am the same level as him or is this dam right out of order.Question

To say I am at the end of my teather with him would be an under esta,mate
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 2
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 11:20
sean mullin

GBR-4-1090
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 28
the problem that i had was when i was with my old group my old instructor asked me to run one of his classes and out of respect i said yes. what i didn't really think about at the time was after i took over the class the closest one for me within our group to train at was over 30 miles away( don't even dare think about training outside of the orginisation) . due to work commitments it made it impossible to go there so i always made a point of attending monthly black belt training and any seminars that were put on. i think if you want the respect of your students you must lead by example and earn it rather than demand it so your student should get his lazy backside off of the couch and back to training or you should seriously consider some sort of action. just my opinion.

sean
Post # 3
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 11:27
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Mr Snow,
This guy is not an instructor, he's a thief! How can he teach Taekwon-Do when he doesn't train in it? He is taking students money and offering nothing in return.

To quote my instructor who lives 250km's away from me;

"When an instructor looses this desire to put on the dobok and train in class, they need to take a deep look at themselves and their understanding of Taekwon Do. Our training in Taekwon Do must be passionate "
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 4
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:11
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Believe me I have kicked his but about this, but whats the old saying 'Fallen on def ears' he always says I dont live for Tae Kwon Do its only my hobby, This makes me angry and want to kick him out but if I do, the board of the LTSI will ask why he was not put in front of the Discipline board first to rectify the problem. As a 5th Degree I try and get as much knowledge as possible hence why we hold seminars etc, I lead he wont follow..... Argh,,,,,, frustrating is a kind word.

At this time he is taking 4 weeks out, still running the club but no commitments to LTSI yet he will always ring for advice, I feel like saying 'Can't Help ya' but the type of person I am I try and help where I can.

To me your coach teaches you for years so you should try and give back to the club you originate from, My original instructor will not talk to me anymore due he is on the BUTF board and because we left them he feels I was disloyal to him yet it was the group I was fed up with but I understand his reasons. Personally I would have love to have an instructor I can look upto.

BTW; This guy lives 1 mile from the main St.Albans school, we have about 15 plus Black Belts training regulary so you'd think he'd go the extra mile would'nt you....
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 5
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:11
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile

Students there hard work,,,,, Arnt we?Smile (Meaning we are all students of the art regardless of what degree we hold)   BTW Mr Mullen nice side kick you poser....

C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 6
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 12:19
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
How far is 250 km - Sorry I'm thick with numbersTongue  whats that in miles then?
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 7
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 16:18
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
about 190 miles there about

Post # 8
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 19:10
user18082

USA-4-1030
Topics: 6 Replies: 18
Mr. Snow

I have been talking about this with my instructor for a long time now. The only thing I can figure is the higher rank we get, the less we think you have to train, that seems to be the norm. We do few seminars, know our patterns and then when our time is up, we find someone to test us.

Respectfully

John Szostek

Post # 9
Top Thu 24th Apr 2008 20:19
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
When Master Maidana was here in Ireland I found that he still trains regularly with his instructor Master Gallaraga. He also assists in class as well as trains too. Now that is dedication!

Post # 10
Top Sun 27th Apr 2008 01:29
Adam Gibbs

GBR-4-1154
Topics: 1 Replies: 4
Sir,

These are my personal views and I hope I do not offend anyone in the ITF family.

I believe that an instructor should attend a technical session with a higher rank at least 2 times a month, Just to keep up with information, I feel they should also attend and participate in at least 2 Master classes a year and 1 IIC. If this was mandatory then within a few years we would all be on a very close international art.

I have recently started my own school and will still attend a minimum of 3 training sessions a week as I feel that this is part of the integrity I promise to adhere to in the TKD oath.

I dont know if you already do this but an almost mandatory black belt technical session 2 times a month could be started and this is where you can pass info down to your black belt instructors that you recieve from your technical sessions, Drilling tuls and techniques with an open Q&A session is great. I personally find Its good for me that I can do this with my instructor so I have the confidence to pass the correct info on to my students.

I work in education in the UK and this kind of thing is classed as personal development. Teachers have to do courses to keep themselves upto date with new methods and best practice initiatives. They have to attend a certain amount of sessions a year, every year as the development of anything is always evolving and is a constant veriable. I will personally always strive to be a better Jeja as I believe nobody has ever finished their training .

Taekwon
Post # 11
Top Sun 27th Apr 2008 20:45
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Absolutely agree with you sir

Post # 12
Top Mon 28th Apr 2008 12:36
user18082