192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Families in Tae Kwon Do

12 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 13 of 13
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sat 12th Jul 2008 00:56
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
I have just finished writing an article on families in TKD for our web - Would you all have a look and give any imput, Tired eyes now but I think it gives credit to beifits of learning art sport together.... Let me knowStern Smile

C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 2
Top Sat 12th Jul 2008 11:54
M. Hildering

NED-4-1016
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 20
Sir,

I really like the way you described why people never actually used their self-defence skills. It's because we don't like to hurt people.

It's actually the reason why i practice Hapkido besides Taekwon-do. Not because i think that Taekwon-do is incomplete, but because i think Taekwon-do can be more lethal. I think Taekwon-do IS a complete art, i will always love Taekwon-do more than any other art.

But at Hapkido i think the grappling techniques give you more control. You can actually control how painful and lethal your technique will become.
Taekwon!
Post # 3
Top Sat 12th Jul 2008 12:28
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
I second that, We cross train once year, This year was Ju-Jitsu. The Master said when practicing prior to executing locks and arm bars on the partners you must know the pain you are delivering - And did I feel the pain, but I enjoyed it loads. Like you TKD is my main love but its good to cross train.

Hapkido is a good art,

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 4
Top Sat 12th Jul 2008 13:00
M. Hildering

NED-4-1016
View Profile
Exactly!

My instructor asked me if i would like to go with him practice Taekwon-do. And of course, i wanted to know more about Hapkido. So we went with a whole group of black belts from different schools to Master Sanders in Eindhoven.

Last year i passed for my 1st Degree in Hapkido, but as same as Taekwon-do, the adventure now really begins.

The funny thing is, we are almost always laughing when we were locked in an painful technique, because it's just amazing how painful and controlable a technique can be. Every lesson we are learning something new, and for self-defence, i think these techniques are safer for your opponents.
Taekwon!
Post # 5
Top Wed 16th Jul 2008 14:35
Tina Ford

CAN-5-1018
Topics: 4 Replies: 2

Sir,

I just wanted to say that I liked your article about families training together. I have six children who train, as well as myself and my husband. The kids started first and my husband and I became tired of sitting on the sides and watching so we joined as well. That was almost 10 years ago and we still love TKD just as much today as the first day we started. It has brought us together as a family. We have had the opportunity to travel the world together as a family.  The highlight of my Taekwon-Do life was being able to compete in Birmingham at the worlds with my oldest son. We trained together for months as we were both part of Canadian teams. As a parent that is an amazing feeling.
Taekwon
Tina Ford

Tina Ford

Post # 6
Top Wed 16th Jul 2008 17:29
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Wow 8 of you now thats a true Tae Kwon Do family, We have a family like you 8 in called the smiths. I only have a few of mine doing it but I get what you are saying it is a great feeling knowing you all have the same interest,

Just a pitty the ITF dont run an article on families as it would give credit to the art. We sent ours in but as normal it was not suitable...... shame that.Cry

Tae Kwon Miss.
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 7
Top Thu 17th Jul 2008 01:00
sean mullin

GBR-4-1090
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 28
family's in taekwon-do ?? i must be doing something wrong as i have had my wife, 3 nephews, a niece and 2 sisters and 2 brother in laws all try it and eventually give up for one reason or another but my wife told me i was too strict and bossy for her. i was annoyed at the time when she gave up but now i realise maybe i was a bit over the top. i think it must be because taekwon-do means a lot more to me as a way of life than it did to them as a hobby and i couldn't understand that. it's sign of the times i suppose that some people see it as a form of aerobics and kep fit / self defence and i want them to see it as a lifestyle choice. sorry to sound negative but has anyone else had the same experiences as me or does my family just really dislike me lol.
Post # 8
Top Thu 17th Jul 2008 09:52
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
No not at all, when you deal with family you have to be strict and bossy to a certain degree, but you do have to let some things go. My daughter use to say 'Dad' now its Mr Snow but it is hard to get them to understand what the true value of TKD is. We are the elete few who really do live for TKD but most 80% are doing it for other reasons.

I have a big family and all have said if I relaxed they would join up as all have seen my classes and seen me in action but as I have said before 'My way of the high way' they wont join up cos of this attitude. Personally I would rather have real committed members then those doing lip service for grade.

Dont take it to hart families can also be a pain - If you change your ways of how you teach for them the tree can become rotten.

Just my opinion though.

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 9
Top Thu 17th Jul 2008 18:03
M. Hildering

NED-4-1016
View Profile
Mr Mullin sir,

I really understand what you mean. It's the same reason for me. Some people around me declare me nuts, just because i'm talking about Taekwon-do all the time. They don't really understand what it does to me.

To me it's a way of life, not just kicking and punching but understanding yourself and growing both physically as mentally. It's a way to increase your personality and spirit.

What i do to explain this to people is talking about passion and talent. Every individual has one or more talents for certain disciplines. Like some people are extremely good at craftmanships or at soccer. I think these people only need motivation that keeps them going. After a matter of time, they understand what they are doing and eventually it has become their passion. They'll live for it. Others who don't understand it, perhaps can see it as an obsession.

Now for us, Taekwon-do is our passion. It's the one thing we found ourselves in. It made us to the people we are.
Taekwon!
Post # 10
Top Fri 18th Jul 2008 19:16
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Have you ever noticed at parties or BBQ's you stand there board out ya nut - Someone approaches you and says I done TKD and got BB and you chat for hours and hours, The other people look at you and say 'Is that your entire topic of conversation?' I always say DER yeah.... I dont have a life only a TKD life. Now thats NUTS but I would not change it, Christmas Tae Kwon Do parties - Whats the topic on ajenda? have a guess? LOL Wink
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 11
Top Fri 18th Jul 2008 21:26
sean mullin

GBR-4-1090
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 28

Post # 12
Top Fri 18th Jul 2008 21:27
sean mullin

GBR-4-1090