192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Clarification on Parallel Ready Stance

Technical
6 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sun 29th Jun 2008 00:36
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46

Greetings,

I had a discussion with another senior black belt recently regarding the parallel ready stance.  In my years of training I've been taught the following:

When conducting pre-arranged sparring (step sparring) upon bowing the attacker will move their right foot and the defender will move their left foot to the parallel ready stance.  In doing so they will both face each other evenly.

When standing in a line formation the right foot ALWAYS stays in place and only the left foot moves.  This is also what we do in the military.

I've been briefed now that both feet move?  First the left foot then the right foot moves?  They both move half way so that the feet are evenly shoulder width apart.

Can someone shed some light on this topic?

Thanks.

v/r

Michael Munyon
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 2
Top Mon 30th Jun 2008 02:06
Nick Malefyt

USA-6-1015
Topics: 2 Replies: 50
Well. I will play the advocate...

When one side steps with left leg and the other steps with the right both sides would be uneven - offset if you will.

Designating one side to step left and the other to step right would go against the fact that we always step with the left foot into the stance

If both parties step left foot first - right foot second from both parties would get the end result where it needs to be (facing one another), it would stick to the underlying theme (left leg steps first) and it shows equality with your training partner.

I recently started doing it this way and the more we do it the more sense it makes. Not that I could not go back tomorrow :>)

Nick Malefyt
Post # 3
Top Mon 30th Jun 2008 18:38
Glenn Horan

GBR-7-1017
Topics: 1 Replies: 17
Hi,
If you go by the encyclopedia it states that for one step sparring 'X' moves the right foot and 'Y' moves the left foot. This will enable both players to be on the same line. If we all follow the encyclopedia we will all do the same. As far as which foot moves first. General Choi always said, and again is stated in the encyclopedia that when attacking in a fundamental movement we attack with the right hand or leg first, and when blocking we use the left hand or leg first. This again as Gen Choi said enables ease of teaching and training.

Hope that helps.

Glenn Horan.

Post # 4
Top Mon 30th Jun 2008 20:10
user18082

USA-4-1030
Topics: 6 Replies: 18
Quote from Glenn Horan - 30th Jun 2008 18:38 View
Hi,
If you go by the encyclopedia it states that for one step sparring 'X' moves the right foot and 'Y' moves the left foot. This will enable both players to be on the same line. If we all follow the encyclopedia we will all do the same. As far as which foot moves first. General Choi always said, and again is stated in the encyclopedia that when attacking in a fundamental movement we attack with the right hand or leg first, and when blocking we use the left hand or leg first. This again as Gen Choi said enables ease of teaching and training.

Hope that helps.

Glenn Horan.

This is they way I have always been taught as well.

Respectfully

John Szostek
Post # 5
Top Tue 1st Jul 2008 02:23
Nick Malefyt

USA-6-1015
To clarify the top piece I meant to say if both parties step with their left lef they would be offset -surprised you guys did not catch that :>)

I understand the point on how we were all taught - and I see the point you are trying to make regarding the encyclopedia - but we do work techniques from both sides and that is in the encyclopedia as well - no?

Nick
Post # 6
Top Tue 1st Jul 2008 11:37
Glenn Horan

GBR-7-1017
Topics: 1 Replies: 17
Yes, if the Instructor wishes the students to step with a particular leg or hand technique then he/she would say. However, if the Instructors doen't specify then we revert to the general rule!
RIGHT ATTACK, LEFT BLOCK first. (this is fundamental movements up and down the dojang)
Mr Maleftyt. I did notice your mistake but new what you ment so didn't mension it!

Regards
Glenn Horan
Post # 7
Top Wed 2nd Jul 2008 02:09
Nick Malefyt

USA-6-1015
Thanks Mr. Horan
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation