192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

what is the point then?

Why affiliate to ITF if you are not going to practice the ways fully...
5 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Fri 13th Jun 2008 18:20
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
As you may have seen we had a tournament last  week end 08/06/08, it was a reall hoot and the Demos were cool too.

During a conversation with a 5th Degree he said we are affiliated to ITF C via a UK group, but we ware our own suits (Black Ones) and white for color belts. He said we dont practice the ITF ways at all and that showed in the patterns and the poor markings given by him. They only give there own certs not ITF.

He is a friend so I dont want to slate him but why bother if you are not in 100%

The LTSI practices ITF only, ware the badge on all suits and blazers with pride, we adopt everything to do with ITF even bowing to the ITF Turtle flag and reciting the student oath and tenets every lesson and most are certified and status card holders, Now we are only affiliated via a UK group and we dont get envolved with the UK group  as much as others do who are in the same possition maybe once a year tops for courses and maybe one comp hosted by them,  yet we see ourselfs as pure ITF, well at least 80% ITF and getting there.

The question again why bother if you are not doing the same as us, it baffles me loads .... these people are crazy ITF has so much to offer ConfusedYing Yang
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 2
Top Fri 13th Jun 2008 21:40
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Mr. Snow,

I too have noticed some folks do the same thing. They claim to be ITF but don't do things according to the syllabus. I do inquire about these things with these individuals and I get a variety of answers. Some I disagree with and others I can understand. One answer that is common is along the lines of they will do, teach and etc whatever it takes to make money. They will sell different color doboks, do all kinds of seminars non-ITF related and etc...

Now, from a business aspect, teaching martial arts is very competitive. Doing what it takes to keep the business running is understandable. However, misrepresenting ITF syllabus or not following it when claiming to be ITF only hurts the organization.

I suggest that you continue to talk with these folks and invite them to as many ITF events as possible. Who knows, they might slowly start implimenting more and more of the syllbaus due to being around folks who follow it regularly.

Also, just curious....does this other 5th Dan have an instructor that he trains with regularly to keep him in compliance with ITF standards? It's easy to do your own thing when you don't have to "report" to another individual.

Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 3
Top Fri 13th Jun 2008 22:44
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Mr Munyon I agree with your sentiments completely. All groups joining the ITF should conform to the ways of the ITF and ITF standard. As a start any non sine wave practicing group should begin to learn it and if they are wearing all sorts of colour uniforms they should slowly but surely adopt the proper attire. The white dobok signifies purity in Taekwon-Do accoring to our president, there is no need to be dressed up in all sorts of colours!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 4
Top Fri 13th Jun 2008 23:19
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
The poor thing about it, there suits look better then them, they have NO snap and no power in moves at all, Sure they can spar but the late founder said anyone can learn how to spar but learn the tecniques correctly so more affecytive in combat that is a total differrent ball game.

We attend about two courses per year ITF or we host them and these are all day courses but the other guy aint got that as he is top dog or one of them, that helps us learn loads but the chance of having another to teach me is no longer available due to time etc so we or rather I have to use DVDs and the Encylopedia and a little help from a 6th Degree who regularly advises and helps me, Plus Master Harry gives me laods of support and advice.

Tae Kwon
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 5
Top Mon 16th Jun 2008 00:11
Michael Boik
Topics: 11 Replies: 35
maybe he is affiliated to this UK group but that doesn't mean he is ITF. If he is ITF I believe the constitution states that as a member he/she must adhere to the ITF teachings. To be ITF in name only is not only lieing to your students by telling them they are ITF but is being very disrespectful to the ITF, Master Choi, the memory of the general, and all the true ITF members who sacrifice their time and money to spread true Taekwon-Do to the masses.

Mike
Taekwon!!

Mike

www.drysdaletkd.com

Post # 6
Top Mon 16th Jun 2008 09:40
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Quote from Michael Boik - 16th Jun 2008 00:11 View
maybe he is affiliated to this UK group but that doesn't mean he is ITF. If he is ITF I believe the constitution states that as a member he/she must adhere to the ITF teachings. To be ITF in name only is not only lieing to your students by telling them they are ITF but is being very disrespectful to the ITF, Master Choi, the memory of the general, and all the true ITF members who sacrifice their time and money to spread true Taekwon-Do to the masses.

Mike

Completely agree, Membership to the ITF is open to all, Upon joining they agree to fall in line with ITF procedures and syllabus. Each case will be different with regards to time it takes to comply as many factors will contribute to the process, there are however numerous groups worldwide rejoining the ITF, many of which are WTF stylists and they all make a conscientious effort to learn and update there techniques/procedures.

If you claim to be ITF you should be working toward a common goal, and if you come across a group who may be abusing the privilege, please inform the ITF enabling them to make enquiries.

You never know, they may just require a guiding hand to help.

Mark Skyrme

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Ltd