192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

King Of Taekwon-Do

7 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 8 of 8
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Fri 11th Apr 2008 15:57
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 25
as technically a new member to the ITF, (after gen choi passing), i missed alot of history in the art and that might be due to my age too Cry. it is great to hear from masters, seniors, juniors and other people that were around to witness historical events in the ITF world since its creation, some stories are the norm whereas others are beyond my imagination!

but looking through videos of old tkd bouts, there is a mention that keeps popping up of a tournament named "King Of Taekwon-Do", featuring ITF competitors such as Tomaz Barada and Stephen Tapilatu.

what was this tournament and when did it start/stop taking place?
it would be interesting to find out if any current members took part in the tournament.
its hard to work out what the "real" tournament features as they are clips of patterns, clips of ITF sparring and some clips of ITF competitors against non-ITF members such as Karate martial artists. Ouch

it would be interesting to know about this event as it seemed to be a good showcase of ITF televised sparring.
taekwon
this is the beginning of something special
Post # 2
Top Sat 12th Apr 2008 13:08
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
This is actually a question I was going to bring up with Tomaz Barada the next time I saw him. I'll be in Slovenia at his training camp next month so I will bring it up. He and Stephen Tapilatu are my favourite Taekwon-Do competitors.
As far as I know King of TKD was a Japanese based tournament, I could be wrong though.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Sun 13th Apr 2008 15:11
David Sims
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 14
Hi, I do not know either but what I do know is that Tomaz Barada is incredible! The footage of him on youtube is amazing.
Post # 4
Top Mon 16th Jun 2008 21:28
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
I meant to get back to you about this. The King Of Taekwon-Do ceased in 2001 according to Barada. It was a professional tournament with the winner receiving a cash amount. I think you had to be seeded and invited to it. Basically all the greats were there including Barada, Quinette and Tapalatu etc

Post # 5
Top Wed 18th Jun 2008 10:48
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 25
thanks Mr Mackey for passing on that info from the King of Taekwon-Do, Mr Barada.
its hard to believe that it stopped in 2001, the footage gives the impression it took place many years before then but then i don't know what years the footage is from!
i hope you had a great training camp with him in Slovenia!
taekwon
this is the beginning of something special
Post # 6
Top Wed 18th Jun 2008 12:51
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
We had a great time Mr Wilson. Mr Barada is a legend in every possible way. The King Of Taekwon-Do trophies were about 3 and half foot tall and contained real marble! It was a pleasure just to see it!

Post # 7
Top Tue 8th Jul 2008 18:37
David Sims
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 14
hey just to let you know there is some incredible footage on youtube of those fighters sir. Someone has uploaded a ton of great vidoes. Just type those names in the search box and follow the yellow brick road lol
Post # 8
Top Wed 9th Jul 2008 12:29
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Absolutely! I spend hours just watching them :D

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 8 of 8
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited