192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Two Punches then Kick

sparring rules
5 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Wed 30th Jul 2008 13:11
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 25

i've heard conversations and read posts on the forum about the "two punches then kick" rule in sparring. i've never really thought about it til now after attending the European Champs in Sardinia, i couldn't imagine that rule working affectively.

1. how would the judges score should someone throw three or more punches then kick? minus a point? adding a warning? considering how fast the pace of some fights are, they could be deliberating over the action to take and miss following scored techinques.

2. do they stop when it happens? many two minutes fights have numerous stoppages for going out the ring, falling over, injuries, warnings, point deductions etc. so would it also incur a stopping period?

3. sparring would become predictable. if you must throw a kick after two punches, the opponent knows what the must do next. and how long do you have between the two punches and the kick? if its a fixed rule that throughout the whole two minutes you must stick to the rule, sparring will become stale and more kicking like WTF sparring.

this is just just general interest, how many ITF tournaments have used this ruling as this is the first time i've ever heard of it!

taekwon, Joel
this is the beginning of something special
Post # 2
Top Wed 30th Jul 2008 15:10
Mark Skyrme

GBR-7-1014
View Profile
Topics: 41 Replies: 148
Thought long and hard about how best to answer this topic, the pro's and con's of such a rule, how it would effect tournament sparring and how such a rule could be implemented. Came up with the following...

"The ITF under President Choi Jung Hwa DO NOT operate such a rule." Thumbs Up

Tae Kwon
Mark Skyrme

facile est inventis addere.
it is easy to add to things already invented.
www.tkd.co.uk

Post # 3
Top Wed 30th Jul 2008 15:59
Mr Snow

GBR-5-1019
View Profile
Topics: 58 Replies: 164
We use the two punch rule at our events - Our events are not billed ITF only ITF styled, We find the rule is a good one - yes it means you know what is coming but over the past 5 events we have seen bouts much more kicky then usual. Oftern bouts are punchy but we simply give a warning and the bout becomes kicky after.

Not all the ITF's have the rule and some that do have it will not endorse it - we were at a UKTA one recently and they did not endorse it but there ITF will.

Confusing.....
C.R.SNOW 5TH DEGREE
WWW.UK-LTSI.COM
Post # 4
Top Wed 30th Jul 2008 17:19
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Just to clarify, in another post I stated the ITFNK operate the 2 punch kick rule.
At the Euro's the blitz was scored as one technique as opposed to a series.

TK.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 5
Top Thu 31st Jul 2008 11:32
Joel Ashley Wilson

GBR-3-2016
View Profile
Topics: 6 Replies: 25
Quote from Mark Skyrme - 30th Jul 2008 15:10 View
Thought long and hard about how best to answer this topic, the pro's and con's of such a rule, how it would effect tournament sparring and how such a rule could be implemented. Came up with the following...

"The ITF under President Choi Jung Hwa DO NOT operate such a rule." Thumbs Up

Tae Kwon
Mark Skyrme

can't argue with that!!Approve
thanks sir. that clears that up for me, interest and worries gone!Big smile

this is the beginning of something special
Post # 6
Top Fri 1st Aug 2008 07:41
James Horobin

GBR-3-1026
View Profile
Topics: 3 Replies: 6
What I understand of the ITFNK rule it is any more than a two punch combination must be followed by a kick with the exception of jumping punches. so more than two punches is exceptable if followed by a kick as part of the combination. Not sure if it is a good idea or not . To many rules hamper our natural rythum. But there is a case that a lot of practitioners rely to heavily on punching techniques which make for scrapy and ugly bouts. Our art differs from western styled kickboxing which is often a place for poorly skilled failed boxers. With the aray of very technical kicks and there use needs to be promoted in our compitions. These compitions should be a place to promote skill and Teakwondo.
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 6 of 6
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited