192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Breathing

Technical
3 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Tue 29th Jul 2008 11:49
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Greetings,

While working with a student on their new pattern (Tul) I noticed that I couldn't hear them breathing.  However, they did not appear out of breath and when I asked if they were breathing they stated Yes.  I went on to talk about the eyes, breath, hands, feet togetherness of TKD techniques.  When I breath I ensure that my breathing matches the technique and that it's heard.  I ensure that it is heard by my examiners and fellow black belts so that they understand that I'm breathing with my techniques and that at times, we breath differently if we are performing connecting or continuous motions. 

My question for this forum is, should we hear a person breathing or is it ok for us to not hear them breathing even though they claim they are doing it correctly?

Thoughts?

Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 2
Top Tue 29th Jul 2008 12:00
M. Hildering

NED-3-1019
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 20
I think it's common when you hear someone breathe while performing a technique correctly, it's a sign that the breathing is explosive as well.

Although i've seen people who overdo it. It even didn't match the technique sometimes. My guess is that they concentrated too much on breathing, so that their technique was following the breath, instead of the exhale should be at maximum on the moment of impact.

Perhaps a good method to have them exhale correctly, is to have them accelerate their breathe as well as their techniques.
Taekwon!

~ Never leave people confused ~
Post # 3
Top Tue 29th Jul 2008 13:36
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Hello sir,
For tournaments the umpire will judge breath control, if he/she can't hear it they won't mark it. Same for an examiner I guess.
Also Master Choi when defining different types of motion, continuous for example, he said the breath should be excentuated on each movement, therefore it will be loud enough to be heard.

Just my thoughts on it.
Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 4
Top Tue 29th Jul 2008 13:54
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Agreed. I hope to get my student to understand this even though her previous instructor didn't exphasis it enough.

Thank you gentlemen.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 4 of 4
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation