192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Merit System

1 Reply
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 2 of 2
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sun 11th Oct 2009 13:49
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123

Hello Forum Members,

I recently had an interesting conversation with a key master in our federation which leads me to ask for your input.  Do you think that there should be a merit system for promotions?

For example, should a 2nd Degree black belt (A) who trains a group of students be allowed to test earlier than another black belt (B) who simply is a student in a group?  After all, one can argue that there is more work and time involved in training students in a group as compared to simply attending training and otherwise keeping oneself trained. This assumes that both black belts (A & B) have the same date for their last successful degree test.  Another 2nd Degree black belt (C) could be one who is a trainer and who also attends training under a higher black belt in another group.

Should B be allowed to test earlier because he could afford the costs of travel and entrance fees for IICs, whereas A could not?

And to continue, what should be considered if to allow different time spans towards the next  test?  Some factors might be:

Number and type of self-development courses (seminars, IICs, Umpire Courses, etc.) attended.

Number of tournaments organized/hosted.

Number of tournaments officiated.

Number of competitions: national, regional, international.

Number of seminars given

Number of demonstrations given/participated in.

Given such a system, participation claimed should be verifiable.

Looking forward to your input.  Thank you.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 2
Top Thu 15th Oct 2009 08:49
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123
I do suspect that a type of unofficial merit system is practiced. I do believe that formalizing such a system would increase motivation for members to perform even more (hosting of events, seminar attendance, etc.) for our Federation. And, at the same time it would recognise the important work that trainers perform in "growing" our Federation.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 2 of 2
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation Limited