192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Fist

Training on Squeezing the Thumb
6 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Sun 13th Dec 2009 10:15
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Topics: 27 Replies: 123
Hi Everyone, It often happens that students between ages seven and ten do not queeze the finger tightly in front of the index and middle fingers when punching with a fist unless there is an actual hard target, such as a mitt. This deficiency is most obvious in Tuls. As trainer, what have you found helpful in correcting such a deficiency? Thank you.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  
                                             He conquers who conquers himself.                                                     

Post # 2
Top Thu 28th Jan 2010 17:17
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Simply pointing it out to them and eventually they will master it. As with all juniors of that age sir, it's all about repetition.

I use the concept of the '3 R's' when we practice parallel punching.

Right (correct) fist

Rotation (of the punch)

Reaction

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Wed 21st Apr 2010 08:35
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Hi Jon,

For a few students, primarily of the younger ages, "corrections come and go". Purhaps concentration problem.
However, constantly hammering on a correction distracts from other areas.
Also, it is not overly productive for the other students in a large formation.

I will try using two small pet squeeze toys -- the ones which make a noise when squeezed; with a different noise for each. Their role is to provide audio feedback at the moment of impact; both the punching fist and the fist returning to the hip.

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 4
Top Wed 21st Apr 2010 08:59
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Topics: 11 Replies: 191
i was just about to suggest maybe giving them a foam/rubber dog ball to grip when punching! =)
you beat me to it.Its got to be small enough though or else the fist will still not be a closed,tight fist.

Maybe try it with walnuts!!!!!
Post # 5
Top Wed 21st Apr 2010 09:12
Bob Borja

GER-6-1004
View Profile
Gr8 minds think the same!
Walnuts ! Is this before or after many Red Bulls ? Kay !!!

Vincit qui se vincit.                                                                  

Post # 6
Top Wed 21st Apr 2010 10:23
Midnight Star

GBR-3-2068
View Profile
Topics: 11 Replies: 191
yuk! Hate Red Bull!
Post # 7
Top Fri 30th Apr 2010 17:57
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Quote from Bob Borja - 21st Apr 2010 08:35 View
Hi Jon,

For a few students, primarily of the younger ages, "corrections come and go". Purhaps concentration problem.
However, constantly hammering on a correction distracts from other areas.
Also, it is not overly productive for the other students in a large formation.

I will try using two small pet squeeze toys -- the ones which make a noise when squeezed; with a different noise for each. Their role is to provide audio feedback at the moment of impact; both the punching fist and the fist returning to the hip.

HI again As a coach to 60+ children, I've never had the problem of distractions, I talk to them as a whole. With children, hammering corrections is the last thing you should think about! Making the right fist is a must before the child progresses to yellow tip.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation