192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Back fist strike - Yul Gok

2 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 3 of 3
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Mon 10th Mar 2008 13:32
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168

During a conversation on Sunday with some black belts this old nugget came up- whether the back fist is done on landing the front or back foot. I remember at an IIC master Choi saying that the back fist strike is done on the landing of the back foot in x stance. Thats how I teach it, as it makes sense within the training secret number 3) To bring the action of eyes, hands, feet and breath into one single coordinated action. It also makes sense to deliver it on the back foot as this enables body weight to be lowered for sine wave while maintaining good balance. Because there seems to be wide 'disagreement' between instructors on the issue I'd be interested to find out what other instructors think.

TK
Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 2
Top Mon 10th Mar 2008 13:54
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 32
Mr. Mackey

This question has come up several times by many instructors. I remember in Philadelphia, Master Nicholls, Master Wheatley and myself performed this technique probabley 1000 times for Master Choi analyzing your exact question. It was determined that the strike does come to a completion on the landing of the back foot. You ae correct with the anology of the training secret. We don't emphasize it too much as it is only a mere milisecond difference. If we over emphasize it then we loose the purpose of the movement and compensate the speed. This movement should uses the mass in our body propelled forward with acceleration thus resulting in power. Please bring this question up in Ireland and it will be explained in more detail.

Master Rai
Master Parm Rai
Post # 3
Top Mon 10th Mar 2008 14:15
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Master Rai,
Thank you for your quick reply. It is really great that instructors have access to your knowledge here on the forum.
Your explanation does make perfects sense. As a group of black belts chatting yesterday about it, we decided that the IIC in March would be an ideal time to get practical clarification on it. Looking forward to it!

Thanks again
TK
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 3 of 3
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation