192 High Street (1st Floor)
West Drayton, Middlesex
United Kingdom UB7 7BE
Founder President  General Choi Hong Hi (1918-2002)
 Grand Master Choi Jung Hwa

ITF Forum > General Forum > General Discussion

back to forum | Help | Search

Stopping point for outward strike with knifehand

6 Replies
Jump to the bottom of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
Original Message Post # 1
Fri 7th Mar 2008 21:51
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Greetings,

I was teaching a white belt class various knife hand strikes.  It consisted of inward, outward, reverse while doing them from different stances.

When I was teaching the outward knife hand strike from the walking stance I paused for a second because I was unsure which line the knife hand stops on.

My question is:  Does the knife hand stop on the chest line or the shoulder line?

I had a student stand in front of me and we discussed the basics of how a strike goes beyond it's intended target so it could not stop the exact moment it makes contact. 

Am I making this too technical or is there something in writing somewhere as to which line an outward knife hand strike from a walking stance stops at?

Thanks.
Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 2
Top Sat 8th Mar 2008 12:52
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Topics: 34 Replies: 168
Hmm interesting Mr Munyon.
Can the knife hand strike be utilsed in the walking stance? Will the position of the hips make it a little unorthodox? In L stance we can perform the strike adequately as we can assume a half facing position while allowing the shoulders to perform the strike.
I'm really not sure where the knife hand stops, maybe again it would be down to where your opponent happens to be.
Just thinking, if the knife hand outward strike is performed obversly in walking stance then the hips can't actually move into half facing position.

Am i reading it correctly sir?

Jon
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars - Oscar Wilde

Post # 3
Top Sat 8th Mar 2008 14:46
Master Rai

CAN-8-1001
View Profile
Topics: 1 Replies: 32
If performing a outward knife hand strike in a walking stance it should stop on the shoulder line.
If looking at it practically.  If your target is infront of you, then your walking stance should be on the outside of your opponents feet, therefore the strike lands on the shoulder line.

Hope this helps.

Taekwon

Master Rai
Master Parm Rai
Post # 4
Top Sat 8th Mar 2008 19:29
Michael Munyon

USA-6-1018
View Profile
Topics: 20 Replies: 46
Ahhhh.....thank you Master Rai. That will be what I'll teach in class.

Michael Munyon, VI Dan
US-ITF Armed Forces Director
Serving America, Armed Forces and the ITF
Post # 5
Top Sat 8th Mar 2008 22:17
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
I guess I had the whole thing mixed up ;)

Post # 6
Top Sun 9th Mar 2008 01:46
Nick Malefyt

USA-6-1015
Topics: 2 Replies: 50
Jon,

Perhaps you don't have the whole thing mixed up. The following does not answer Mr. Munyon's question - as Master Rai already has. But here's some food for thought. From a self-defense standpoint cross cuts with the fingertips might be more practical/applicable from the walking stance compared to an outward knifehand strike. You are getting the rank(s) where you will see cross cuts more often and can determine what feels comfortable to you (again this would be for SD purposes - and, for what it is worth, I typically do not like to find myself front facing in a SD situation - but for me a cross cut would be the way I would go if I had to). Again this goes more to the stance in question and how fundamental movements were coordinated with particular stances to generate maximum power

Taekwon and I hope all is well,

Nick Malefyt
Post # 7
Top Sun 9th Mar 2008 20:13
Jon_Mackey

IRL-4-1033
View Profile
Hi Mr Malefyt,
Long time no read! All is very well thank you and I hope its like wise for you!

Thank you for the reply it does make good sense when it comes to SD and the differences in cross cut.

Thanks again
TK

Jump to the top of the page Posts 1 to 7 of 7
 Start a new topic
© International Taekwon-Do Federation